Supercharged Death Scare

I'm getting ready to take my 94 Buick Ultra from Ohio to Florida with

115K already on the motor. Yesterday, my tire mechanic listened to my supercharger grumbling away and he said I needed to replace the supercharger before my trip. That was bad enough news, but easy enough to ignore until he said that if the supercharger self-destructed on the trip it would deposit its parts in my engine, thus destroying my engine too! That got my attention.

So I asked my other mechanic and he said he never heard of that happening.

Question 1: I'm wondering if anyone has ever heard of a supercharger tying up an engine with its parts.

Question 2: Is it all right for my supercharger to make some noise, a bit like someone was crushing ice in the next apartment over?

Reply to
bode

The noise you describe sounds like bearing failure. You may already be getting metal in the oil. I think your mechanic is giving you good advice. When you know you have a failed part that will need replacing soon, now is the best time. Of course, your mechanic would rather have you spend money with him than on the road. Bring the title with you on the trip so you can junk the car on the road and make it a clean deal with the boneyard. Take a cab with all your vacation stuff over to the nearest Greyhound site and continue the trip. (Or rent a car)

Reply to
Al Bundy

That paints a pretty realistic picture Al! *LOL* Good advice all 'round.

Reply to
Cool Jet

Did you ever change or top off the supercharger oil?

:( sorry to hear that it's failing on you.

My supercharger has 70k on it and I had hoped to keep the car for a few more years. I hope my s/c doesn't develop that sound.

You could probably find a low mileage s/c at the junkyard or on ebay. I wouldn't bother buying a brand new one.

Reply to
Paul79UF

It's possible. Consider where it sits, on top of the engine. Clear path through the intake with only the intake valves in the way. It's a distinct possibility.

No. I'd suggest either taking the mechanics advice or another car on the trip...

Reply to
Mike Levy

Sure, just stay within walking distance of your house to be assured of getting home every night.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Sounds like a carrier bearing in the snout is going. IF it hasn't damaged the rotors yet it can be repaired reasonably.

Steve W.