torsional damper size

Hey guys,

What would be the advantages or diadvantages of running a certain size of damper. My crate 290/350 chev engine calls for either a 6.75 inch or 8 inch. I do plan on adding edelbrock heads and a roller cam. What size and why?Whats the difference?

Reply to
snay

6.75" - Lets the engine rev a small fraction faster, Less weight on the crank snout, smaller diameter makes it easier to fit in some engine bays. 8" - better damping due to the higher weight, easier to set timing due to larger markings, larger bolt circle allows a larger pulley for accessory drive (larger alternator, plow pump, HD stuff).

Just make sure that whatever size you use that you get the matching timing tab AND set it correctly.

Reply to
Steve W.