97 Buick Regal Random Cyl. Misfire.

I have a 97 Regal LS with a 3.8L motor. It currently has a rough idle and sputters going up hills and shakes violently sometimes. I hooked it up to a code reader witch only told me that it was code 300--Random Cyl. Misfire. It gave no information about any sensors just the one code. Does anyone have any insite here of what I should be looking at.

Reply to
nathanbonstell

Shep

Maybe. This Series II engine is susceptible to the plastic plenum decomposition problem. When this cockiedoodie part starts going bad, it may well set that code as the leakage of coolant into the engine begins.

If this is the problem, the engine may soon lock up due to coolant in the cylinders.

Now, there can be lots of other things involved too, but if you havent had the old plenum replaced, this could be a signal that your time is nigh.

Reply to
hls