Turning Signal Out

Curious if anyone has an idea of what the problem may be here.

As I was driving this morning with my right turn signal going the turn signal indicator on the dash, and the lights at the front and rear of the car stopped blinking. The wand on the steering column remain locked into place, and clicked back into neutral position when I completed my turn, just no lights - outside or in. And that "clicking" noise that is made whenever the turn signal is blinking was gone, as well.

This occurs for both the left and right turn indicators.

Everything else on the wand appears to be operational (brights, wipers, washer fluid).

Possible fuse? Didn't have the time to check this morning - had to get to work!

The car is a 2001 Monte Carlo SS.

Reply to
J Rod

Fuse if you're lucky, turn signal switch if you're not.

-GV

Reply to
GlassVial

It is probably the flasher relay, that clicking noise you don't hear anymore. Possibly a fuse but fuses blow for a reason so if one is blown check everything closely...

Reply to
Woody

Possible related item:

My daytime running lights have not worked properly for quite some time now (1+ years). When I initially start the car the daytime lights will flicker for a few seconds, then the car automatically switches over to the normal headlights - my guess as a default - and runs those all the time in place of the daytime lights. The message center on the dash will show an error message that the headlights are out.

In addition, the high beam indicator on the dash (blue headlight) will flicker for the entire time I drive the car - but this is intermittent, where as the flickering of the daytime lights is constant. The flickering also occurs to the fog lamps if I switch those on as well, but this only occurs when the high beam indicator is flickering on the dash. When the high beam indicator is not flickering, the fog lamps illuminate properly.

To recap:

  1. Daytime lights flicker 24/7 with auto switch to regular headlights
  2. High beam indicator and fog lamps flicker intermediately, but in tandem

Could these be related?

Reply to
J Rod

I could be wrong, but it sounds like a bad ground somewhere.

-GV

Reply to
GlassVial

Sounds like that to me as well. GM's lighting controls and circuits are overly complex compared to some others (some would say they're "over-engineered"). Good luck with tracing it!

Reply to
jcr

Well, if anyone is curious, the fuse was not blown, and the signals were operational the next time I started the car.

I think both of you are right, in that the issue is a bad ground somewhere. As the problem is not constant, and seems to be working now, I'm just going to let it be until it becomes permanent.

To note, if anyone is considering buying a Monte, I'd advise against it (unless you want to buy mine ;-)). I've had nothing but problems.

Reply to
J Rod

Question: Does it seem to happen more often when it's wet and/or very humid? If so, definitely sounds like a wiring problem somewhere. And I know enough what a BITCH they can be on any car. My friend's 96 Olds was eating computers thanks to a wiring issue.

-GV

Reply to
GlassVial

YOUR FLASHER is shot, if the fuse were blown the lights wouldn't light when you apply the switch. Find the flasher for the directionals (not the 4-ways. On most gm 's there is one for each) normally found on the fuse panel or attached to the steering column under the dash. check your owner's manual index for fuse or flasher.

Reply to
gratt via CarKB.com

"gratt via CarKB.com" wrote in news:747ce1e60a9de@uwe:

late model GMs use the emergency flasher switch as a turn ind. flasher also...common problem up till about 03....many times when flasher is failing you can punch the emerg. flashers on and off several times and then recheck turn ind. operation...and of course then replace emerg. flasher module to correct malfunction....................kjun

Reply to
Kjun