using front drive 2.2 in S10

My 96 s10 i think is dieing and i am looking for replacement engines. a 1995/1997 2.2 of some variety seems to be the likly candidate. It has to be port injected which rules out older 2.2.'s It will be much easier to find a front drive core. What are the issues of using a front drive motor in a S10?

i know you will have to flip the water pump inlet and make sure its drilled in the block.

I saw some deal about the head gaskets being different (FWD/RWD) with some passages being covered or such?

anyone done this kind of swap?

I found a 99 motor, but it seems to be too different of a dog to mate up to the 96 computer

Bob

Reply to
bob urz

I can't help you Bob. Never did the work. I just wanted you to know that your post did not go un-noticed

Reply to
Mike Marlow

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups---= - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

Reply to
Shep

Just looked in the interchange book. The blocks are different. No interchange except another RWD vehicle. (Basically another S-10)

Reply to
Steve W.

My The blocks have the rear drive mount holes if its the right year and casting number. The blocks can be the same. Accessories determine fwd/rwd.

The head has a plug in one end or the other depending on if its a FWD or RWD for the water inlet. SO theoretically if using a FWD core, you block off one end with a plug and open up the other end as long as it has the holes drilled for the housing mount for the radiator hose.

In my case, i have sequential fuel injection so i would need the year (95/97) that had the hole in the block for the cam position sensor. Earlier 2.2 did not have a mount for this sensor or the cam to support it. And it would have to be the roller cam version.

98 and newer 2.2 had a different head and ports so the earlier 96 manifolds would not work on these engines. and there is a timing notch that is changed in the 98 and up that would cause timing issues if these cores were used in a earlier application with an older computer not set up for this.

As i see this, if i had a 95/97 FWD 2.2 and used my existing exhaust and intake manifolds they should mount right up to the FWD 2.2. I would also have to change the oil pan from the old engine cause the FWD pan is different. The mount holes for the motor mounts should be on the FWD core drilled but previously unused.

My other scenario is to use a 97/99 2.2 out of a newer S10. I have found a few of these. BUT, because of timing and different manifolds i think i would have to use a computer out of the year the motor was and get the wiring and manifolds to go with it. What i don't know is that if i do this, will the newer computer work with the anti lock brakes, instrument panel and the rest of the older truck electronics. or if the 96 fire wall connectors will mate with the newer under hood harness. My guess is they will, but i have no confirmation on this.

Bob