Gm 2.2 oil pressue

I have a question on my 96 S10 2.2 engine. IN the winter when it was colder, my oil pressure seemed always to be 40 or better and more stable. Now that its getting hotter, the oil pressure gage varies up and down more with RPM. It drops down as low as 20 at lower RPM, but not into the red zone which i think is around 10 PSI. This engine has just over 100K. I bought i used at 80K or so, and it had the head gasket done before i got it.

My machine shop buddy seems to think the bearings are damaged, and that i should run heavier oil in it now and get rid of it before the bearings spin.

So, is this oil pressure level problematic? Other than normal 2.2 noises and some piston slap, it seems to run OK. Its not really burning any oil either.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

There is nothing wrong with 20 lbs of oil pressure at a hot idle. Mind you, I wouldn't go by the factory guage. If you really are concerned and want to know what the pressure is at, you will need to stick a mechanical guage in place of the factory sending unit and see what the real pressure is.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

I though this would be OK,. But if the gauge is ok, Is this normal for a 2.2? Or does it sound like it may have some main bearing wear?

Another question on this motor on a 96 S10, where is the best place to attach a fuel pressure tester? I would like to be able to see it during a test drive to try to confirm a fuel pump problem when hot.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

That does not seem too unusual to me.. It's quite normal for the oil pressure to drop after the engine warms up in hot weather, that doesn't necessarily indicate significant bearing wear. Unless the oil pressure is getting down to the red zone, I don't think you need to run heavier oil to deal with it, especially not anything over 10W30 as that may just increase engine wear in other areas.

Reply to
Robert Hancock