Valet 552T

I picked up a Pontiac and it has a Valet 552T remote start / security system in it.

However, it appears it wasn't a complete installation. I can remote start, and lock/unlock the doors just fine. And the range on the remote start is amazing.

But, there seems to be a lot they didn't hook up.

There's no parking light flash. There's no horn confirmation beep. There's no LED indicator.

I found a toggle switch tucked up under the dash, but no pushbutton.

Was it common for there to be different levels of install for this? Or did I just get a hack job...

Mike

Reply to
Mike Y

Every remote starter I have used or installed have had several different options when installing. Some people go with a simple lock-unlock. Some go with light flashes, horn chirps, or a blinking red light on the dash. It all depends on what the installer was asked to actually install. I usually only do the lock-unlock and light flash. From what I can find on your particular remote starter, it *can* do everything you spoke of in your post (horn chip, lights flashing), and more, but like I said, it all depends on what was originally hooked up. It's a lot easier to just make the thing work, as opposed to making it do all the tricks. Keep in mind though, if you do want all that stuff, and are electronically inclined, you could do it yourself.

Here is some info I found on your remote starter:

Valet's top-of-the-line remote start and keyless entry system offers consumers many of the features they have now come to expect from DEI's ESP systems, including Owner Recognition, PC/Bitwriter programmability, and plug-in compatibility with Viper GPS Tracking System, for remote engine starting via telephone.

Anti-grind output, Tach learn with confirmation, Auto-restart, safety inputs, pinswitch, Power doorlock outputs (+/-), Ignition controlled power locks, Two 2 button remotes,

3 channel output,

Valet mode, Fuel-injected automatic transmission only, Pre-ignition, program runtime 12/24/60 min, Doorlock pulse duration (Prog. 0.8/3.5 sec), Horn honk output, DEI standard 12 pin harness, Passive lock/not lock, Channel 2 output, Domelight output, Failsafe Starter kill ready (Active/passive), Neutral safety input, HCRS-4 relay/high capacity relay satellite, Parking light flash (Program constant or pulsing) relay, Extended range antenna (Quarter mile range) Now includes the HF Plus Antenna.

Reply to
80 Knight

Thanks. I guess my question really was to find out if it was common that the system would be installed with all these features 'unused'. But I guess it all comes down to what the owner who originally had it done paid to the dealer and what was expected.

In my mind, if there's a wire for a function, it's getting hooked up!

I looked under the dash, and it APPEARS that the system was installed with everything in a solid bundle. With wireties still around the wiring harness, and only the wires brought out that absolutely needed to be brought out. The toggle switch is even in the wire bundle. I'm going to try to get in there in the next week or so and see if I can get to the lights and horn easily and at least get some feedback when I use the Valet. That's the toughest thing right now, not having any audible or visual feedback. My Olds doesn't have a starter but it has separate lock and unlock buttons on the remote. With the Valet there's a single lock/unlock button. What's really strange is the Valet doesn't follow what the car does. If I hit the door switch and the car locks the doors, the Valet thinks the doors are unlocked, and hitting the button just does a slight tap. And the Valet seems to want a full second on a button press. It's impossible to be sure if you lock the doors as you walk away from the car at the parking lot unless you are still close enough to hear the lock mechanism, so I really want the horn and lights to work. As to the siren and the dome light, maybe later, but not now.

Hmm, is the PC programmer available anywhere for the thing? I see there's a LOT the Valet will do but it has to be custom configured to do it. They sell something called a bitwriter, but I don't want to spend for that.

As to doing it myself, I have a JBS system sitting here, and I was about to install it in my last car only it got totaled. I picked this car up as a quick emergency replacement and didn't even know it had the remote start when I looked and decided to buy it. I figure now I can install the other system in the other car, just have to get a different security module. (I may even have lucked out, as I think my Olds even uses the same GM harness that I had bought for my other Pontiac!)

My last car had a trunk release in the glove box. This Pontiac doesn't, so I'm just going to go get the mechanism from the junkyard.

Reply to
Mike Y

Which model of Pontiac did you buy? Sunfire?

Reply to
80 Knight

95 Grand Prix SE. Almost identical to the one I smashed up. The insurance company was giving me fits over what they said they'd pay for my last one. During the arguments with them, they countered me by saying 'local value' of the thing, so I countered with a list from the area of that make, model, and year. I found this one on a lot and the guy made me an offer that was a great deal so I took it.

The only differences to my last one is this one doesn't have ABS, remote electric mirrors, or trunk release. It's even a similar color, but not exact. The radio wasn't the same, but I'm going to put in my own CD player, which still has the harness and mounting adapter attached from my last Grand Prix, so it should just drop in.

This new one even has that "Second Gear Start" thing.

Reply to
Mike Y

Congrats. I have always loved the Grand Prix's. My first car was a 1992 LE, and she was a beauty. After that one was totaled, I bought a 1991 Bonneville, but ended up selling that to buy another Grand Prix, this time a

1991. I had the same problems with the insurance company. One of the lines they used was "there is an almost exact car in Quebec for $3000". Meanwhile, since I live near Toronto, I told them where to go. It ended up that the insurance company couldn't find an exact replacement to my GP. That and the brand new paint job, tires, and a few other things made them give me a good price for it. As for your GP and the trunk release, have you checked on the driver's door? If memory serves, the Grand Prix's had a retrofit of the interior in 1994, adding dual air-bags and changing things here and there.
Reply to
80 Knight

As far as I can tell, the cars were identical except for those items. The electric mirrors, ABS, and remote trunk. And the non-tape radio in the new one, which doesn't matter as the CD player will drop in.

I haven't checked yet, but the last car had that bastardized ODBI/ODBII thing. I'm probably gonna find the same thing on this one!

Reply to
Mike Y

Yeah, unfortunately 1995 was in the guessing stage. Anyhow, good luck with your Grand Prix. I loved both of mine, and they are great cars.

Reply to
80 Knight