Valve guide seals??

Have any of you replaced the valve guide seals with the motor still in the car? If you have how big a job is it? My daughters car has two hundred and fourteen thousand miles on it and its statred usuing about a quart of oil every two thousand miles. It smokes if it set and idles for awhile.

Reply to
Anthony Powell

Generic response due to unidentified engine: Place cylinder at compression TDC. Remove spark plug, apply compressed air to hold valves on seat (or fill chamber with nylon rope, leaving tag end to facilitate extraction, if working under a shadetree.). Remove valve cover, rockers, keepers/retainer/spring. Replace seal, reassemble. Umbrella-type easy, positive type no so much so. Consume beer. Put next cyl on compression TDC, such and so forth.

Perhaps a leakdown test is in order before investing the time/money in seal replacement on a tired motor with worn guides, rings, etc.

Mark

Reply to
Marky

What kind of car? Some cars are easy to get at, some cars are not. I believe you own a 94 Camaro (previous post) so have a look under the hood - the valve covers need to come off... tell me how fun that would be.

Ray

Reply to
ray

Sorry its a 96 camaro with a 3.8. It looks like it would be a bear to work on. I have done seals on several 350's in other cars.

Reply to
Anthony Powell

I like to coast down a hill in gear, and floor it. If you get a big cloud of oil smoke, that goes away when you accelerate, that shows valve guide / seals are poor. Coasting creates extra vacuum which draws oil past worn guides.

Reply to
451ctds