WHEEL BEARING PART 2

Thanks guys!!

Alot of good ideas and opinions.

The car runs other than the wheel bearing and strut, excellently...good heat...no leaks, doesn't burn any oil, have changed it myself over a dozen times now...average gas mileage, about 23 to 27 i'd guess.

So, if i want to go faster than 35 mph, i'll need to do the wheel bearing, I can buy it for $140 at AutoZone, and my brother (...and I.. :-) ..) would install it for "free", after I pay him off, it wouldn't be that bad at all.

UPDATE !!

Reply to
funkfreedom

It would have been worth the 40 bucks if they didnt give you all the extra parts to go along with it you had to remove to get your bearing off the replacement part.

Reply to
Adam F

Would be to me. Under the circumstances, it was a good way to keep a car going longer for a reasonable price. I think you did the smart thing.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I hope the used wheel bearing isn't any louder than your present one. Caveat Emptor.

Good Luck

harryface

Reply to
Harry Face

There is a little risk buying a used part, but your negativity is mis-placed here.

They OP is trying to make an older car last a bit longer. He is in a tight financial situation right now. The car will only be kept for a short time, as he knows it is at the end of its practical life. Do you think it is wise to spend the extra $160 right now? I think he made a smart move.

Yes, that bearing can go tomorrow, but it can also go another 100,000 miles. Sometimes you just have to take the chance.

I just put a used ignition module in my car. Save $200 and it runs like new.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

We'll see......

I absolootly love saving the $100 buying a used wheel bearing. For, Autozone was asking $145 for a new one...i paid $40 for the used one.

ha, when i walked into the "junkyard", the place is run well it looks like, the part came to me from an organized stock room area....I looked around, and there were some used goodlooking tires. I just bought 4 new ones...if i had thought about it, i prob would have bought 2 used ones..the car is riding very smoothly, maybe the BEST it ever has...other than the wheel bearing problem..hopefully it will turn out ok. Riding the best ever, ha!...at 175,000 miles!

Reply to
funkfreedom

If you had low mileage, I'd say buy new and be sure. At this stage, you just want to keep the car going as cheaply as possible. That bearing may only have 30,000 miles on it, meaning it may last another 100,000 or more. Good luck and enjoy driving.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski