Which transmission should I get

Hey all I just aquired a 1984 Caprice Classic police car, and it needs a transmission. It needs a transmission. It has the 700r4 but am thinking of going with the 350 th because its about $300 cheaper to rebuild. I realize I will loose the OD but the 350 wont have the rpm dive that the 700r4 has between 1st and 2nd. Is this a good idea or will I be opening a can of worms trying to make this setup work. The car has the 305 4bbl engine if that helps Thanks Steve

Reply to
seeray

IMO you will be opening can of worms. A lot of different parts would need to be purchased and the driveshaft would have to be customized to fit the TH350.

If you're not going to be drag racing exclusively stick with the OD. I just went from a TH350 to a 2004R (similar to 700R4) in my car and that was the best upgrade I've ever made to that car. Gas mileage and ride comfort increased dramatically with the OD trans. Yeah, I lost .2 sec in the 1/4 mile due to the gear spread. But the benefits far outweight a nearly imperceptible change in acceleration.

My guess is that the conversion would cost more than the $300 you're talking about saving.

Just my 2¢

Roy

Reply to
Roy Shroyer

My recommendation would be to convert it to manual if he's into doing some custom fabrication. A clutch job is a snap to do and costs a lot less.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Reply to
seeray

Reply to
seeray

Why? I had a friend with an early 70's Buick with manual and it looked and worked just fine. Faster than snot, too.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

If your doing a lot of heavy duty hauling, stop / go, the TH400 is a good bet. Requires different rear yoke.

Reply to
451 CTDS