Wipers have a mind of their own

I have a 90 Pontiac Transport. When I hit the mist button or turn on the intermittent wipers they continue to run till they decide to turn off by themselves. Most of the time they will stop somewhere in the middle of the windshield. Then maybe 5 or

10 minutes later they will return to home, or sometimes never return to the original start position. Anyone have a clue what's going on?

Thanks, Glen

Reply to
Glen Szpot

Had similar problem on my DeVille, in fact, I almost ran over an 18 wheeler during a bad storm on I10. The wiper-motor was the problem. Replacing it was the solution. When you buy the replacement motor, keep the old one until you know for sure the replacement does everything it's supposed to. I had to use the pcb from the old motor before everything worked properly. Had I not kept the old motor, I'd have been in a bad mood! You can always turn in the old motor for the core charge later.

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt

Check with the dealer, this is a recall item for many GM vehicles. I got a new wiper motor PC board for my 97 Bravada at no cost.

Reply to
john.riedel

Miper motor pc board???(GOOD ONE) The recall is for a wiper module....Due to intermitted stop of wiper function...ONe time they work one time they dont...This sounds more like the motor ....Not the module.. Steve C

Reply to
Steve Cook

What do you mean...Good One! My motor did HAVE a pcb! I do not think a

13yr old car is going to get fixed under a 'recall'. I have NO reason to bother typing an untruth.....jerk!

ps....learn how to post in a NG

DS

Reply to
putt

Re: Wipers have a mind of their own(Steve C) Group: alt.autos.gm Date: Wed, Oct 29, 2003, 7:57am From: snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net Miper motor pc board???(GOOD ONE) What do you mean...Good One! My motor did HAVE a pcb! I do not think a

13yr old car is going to get fixed under a 'recall'. I have NO reason to bother typing an untruth.....jerk! ps....learn how to post in a NG DS

Obviously your an asshole....FYI PC stands for personal computer....May have had a cricuit board.....But for a automotive to have a PC board unless there is a keybord and mouse on the front seat I doubt it...Also I never said your car would be covered under a recall.......Just because you dont know what your talking abou,t dont mean you not typing the untruth......Maybe next time you should get your head out of your ass and read what you write......Its obvious your not a mechanic of any type unless you work on lawn mowers.......You must be one of those dredded trolls Steve C

Reply to
Steve Cook

Actually, for YOUR information, in the electronics (including automotive electronics) world, PC frequently means Printed Circuit, not Personal Computer, and the wiper motor / gearbox / control unit (one piece) for any late model GM vehicle does have one. The recall notice I got specified a crack in the PC Board.

Reply to
john.riedel

I have three full size GM's and they all suffer from the occasional wiper problems similar to what you describe. My cars are quite a lot older than yours but they do have a Printed Circuit (Board) and often just cleaning up/moving the connectors sorts things out. Other than that I found that the lubricant on the internal assortment of cogs, levers and springs becomes gummy and cleaning and lubrication is a good idea. Also sometimes the cogs become worn or damaged and need to be replaced, try and pick up a good wiper assembly at a wrecker for spares. I got one for $15 and in fact just had to use it to replace a bit.

Good luck.

Reply to
Lloyd Cimprich

I have similar problems with my older GMs, see my earlier post.

Reply to
Lloyd Cimprich

obviously this steve c person is a youngster who knows _everything_....well except what pcb means, or how to conduct himself properly in a public forum. Defensive attitude, cussing and such, gives him away. My having 45+yrs experience working on all types of vehicles gives some insight in trying to help folks. Well, except those who know everything already.

Possibly he will apologize, but I doubt it.

I appreciate the posts corroborating my information. Thank you.

Dave

Reply to
putt

ground to come sand go