Z24 odometer displays "error"

Yesterday the headlights were left on for a long time on our Cavalier Z24 causing the battery to go almost dead. I boosted the battery using my other car's battery with the ignition turned off. The Z24 started immediately and I quickly removed the booster cables. To ensure the battery would be charged for today's use I charged it in the car using my usual battery charger. It began at 5 amps and fell to under 2 amps within several hours, I then removed the charger. This morning as soon as I drove the Z24 the odometer read "error" and the service light is on. The car drives normal otherwise. Anyone have any clues??

Reply to
Solomon Darcus

Two things come to mind. First of all, some memory component of the computer may have "gone flat". More likely, the act of zapping jumper cables on the system caused a momentary spike that insulted the computer. It is possible that it is a temporary thing, but my wild ass guess is that something electrical in the computer is fried. Sorry.

It is also possible that one of the rectifier sets of the alternator got taken out by the spike. That happened to me one time. The car will still run, but it isn't right.

That is sort of one reason why they tell you not to jump start cars in certain ways or use chargers in certain ways. It is the spike that gets you.

---Bob Gross---

Reply to
Robertwgross

Solomon,

Does it display "error" or something else. I have similar problem like you. My odometer from the beginning would display "strange" characters then it starts display the right numbers but not all numbers at one time. For example, my car has about 65732, it would display the three odd numbers 6 "blank" 7 "blank" 2 and about couple minutes (it used to be only less than a minutes), it would displays 5 "blank" 3, and keep switching around. I read in some places they fix this problem but you have to send in the dash board (ouch) and it seems the problem with only 2 model years 1998 & 1999 and my car is Cavalier 1999.

Reply to
Hai Pham

You may have to have the dealer read the codes and reset the computer. The miles is kept in the computer as well as in the odometer....

Reply to
Woody

Just fixed it! At ignition turn on, the odo would always read the same mileage regardless how far I'd drive, but that would only last for about 5 seconds before displaying "error" I removed the 10 amp fuse in the CLST position, waited 10 seconds and reseated it, heard a noise from the dashboard, turned on the ignition and the odo read normal. It even remembered the lost miles and is registering correctly. The fuse was not blown, perhaps it was some sort of lockup situation which needed the fuse to be pulled for things to reinitalize.

Solomon.

Reply to
Solomon Darcus

Where is the fuse exactly.

Thanks

Reply to
Hai Pham

Hai.....The fuse panel cover is located on the extreme left of driver's side of the dashboard. You will see it when the driver's door is open. The fuse I reseated is labeled CLSTR and is located on the bottom row, fourth from the front.

Good Luck........Sol.

Reply to
Solomon Darcus

It is the instrument cluster. Resetting it caused the mileage to be read from the computer to reset the odometer.

Reply to
Woody