06 Civic ECM replacement

Hi,

06 Civic EX 137k miles

I suspect that the ECM is faulty. If I buy a used ECM on Ebay and fit it, do my existing keys need to be programmed with the replacement ECM.

If the keys and ECM need to be programmed, is there software where I can do this myself.

Alternatively can an auto locksmith program them at my location (car does not start).

Can a Honda dealership program the keys and ECM together without the car.

Al Moodie.

Reply to
Al Moodie

The physical keys have nothing to do with anything.

Do you mean the keyless entry? All you'd have to do, if necessary, is the Honda dance to match up your existing remotes to the computer. Easy.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

The physical keys contain transponders which, when energized by the ignition, emit an alpha-numeric code which the car must recognize as preprogrammed into either the "Immobilizer" or the "ECM" or both. Normally this is done by the manufacturer or for replacement keys by a Honda dealership or maybe an independent locksmith.

The question I really need answered: Are the "key codes" stored in a separate "Immobilizer" or are they also stored in the "ECM". If they are stored in the ECM then it will need to be reprogrammed to match the keys.

Al Moodie.

Reply to
Al Moodie

Al Moodie wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The ECM and the immobilizer-keyless units work in tandem. The codes are stored in the immob-keyless unit.

The old "chicken dance" no longer applies. You need the Honda HDS to update the keyless to accept new keys or delete old ones. Registered locksmiths will have a similar system that they can use on-site.

TSB A06-011 has all the wonderful details on your Type 6 security system.

Why do you suspect a faulty ECM? The chances of that are virtully nil, you know.

Does the engine refuse to start? If so, have you replaced the battery in the key? (assuming you don't have a DX)

Reply to
Tegger

I found TSB A06-011 last night after a Google search

I've had this car a large local Honda dealership for diagnosis when the problem was just "difficult starting". They worked on it for a whole day. Showed no trouble codes. They replaced the spark plugs, replaced several earth straps, checked sensors and I don't know what else. Even had a live data link to Hoda HQ in CA who suggested the only thing left was ECM replacement. A Replacement ECM was shipped from Honda CA but we had to take the car back due to travel commitments.

Honda local gave the impression that the ECM from Hoda CA was "special" in that they were only able to use it for 48 hours before it had to be shipped on Fedex overnight to some other Honda Dealer who had requested it. Is there such a thing as a special diagnostic ECM, I don't know, but that is the impression Honda local gave.

Anyway we continued to use the car for several weeks, but just before Christmas it refused to start at all. So far I have:

1) Replaced the battery, it was a Honda original, 6-7 years old. No change 2) Inserted a "spark tester" and got a good blue spark at the appropriate 10mm gap. 3) Removed MAF housing and squirted starting fluid into the air intake while cranking, still refuses to fire.

I would test the injector circuit with a node light but I am usure how to gain access to the injectors. Didn't spend a lot of time looking as it was below freezing and the car is outdoors. Can someone point me to injector access.

The engine refuses to start. However replacing the batteries in the keys does not make sense. I quote from TSB A06-011page 2

"The keys for the Civic DX do not contain batteries or other serviceable parts. The master keys for all other models have a battery-operated remote transmitter built into the grip that lets you lock and unlock the vehicle. Civic EX, Si, and Hybrid models also have a trunk release. The batteries in these keys are for keyless functions only. The immobilizer function of the key does not require a battery."

You say that the chances of ECM failure are virtualy nil. However if I search Google I find businesses whose only function is ECM rebuilding. Maybe you have knowledge that Honda ECMs are built to higher standards, I don't know. Also on Ebay there are many Honda ECMs for sale, does no one buy them ??

I also have to belive that if my local Honda Dealer in conjuction with Honda HQ in CA via live data feed believe the problem may be the ECM. then I am inclined to belive them.

If these to Honda entities can't find any other fault, what chance do I have of finding the fault. Replacing the ECM seems a logical way to go. What do you think.

I will admit that when Honda local and Honda HQ had the car it was running so therefore nor difficult to diagnose a "difficult stark problem.

Maybe I should just have it towed to the Honda dealership, but I fear a large bill for towing, diagnosis, ECM replacement, key programming, etc.

Replacing the ECM would cost me $120 for the ECM and then say $125 for a travelling locksmith to program the keys to immobilizer, ECM.

I have also looked at buying Honda HDS software for a loaptop and tackling the programming myself, but software has to come from Hong Kong which takes time.

If you have any further helpful input, I am all ears.

Al Moodie.

Reply to
Al Moodie

and yet, I had the ECM go back on my 88 Civic Wagon.

$600, back in the day.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

actually, the 88's are terrible for that. the circuit board traces break free of the board and float in mid air on some of them - and then fatigue and break. it's the most incredibly incompetent circuit board manufacturing fault i've ever seen.

Reply to
jim beam

well, I feel better now, knowing I wasn't taken for a ride. To be fair, the replacement ECM fixed everything.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

saw another one yesterday - an 87 crx si. although to be fair, this one had been under water for years - sun roof leak kept filling the interior, and the owner hadn't installed the necessary drain holes in the well where the ecu sits.

that beats me - i'd have thought that water pooling on the floor of a car would be a foreseeable problem if the windshield seal went, if the heater core leaked or even if a car window was left open. locating the ecu on the floor is just plain retarded. my civic has the same problem although it's only partial immersion, not full like the gen 1 crx.

Reply to
jim beam

As a hobby I do minor electronics repair, mostly lcd computer monitors Most of the failures are due to failing electrolytic capacitors. Over time, with heat they dry out and in some cases bulge and leak fluid. This leads to circuit failure.

I've ordered a replacement ECM from Ebay, it should be here tomorrow, but in the meantime I thought I'd open my existing ECM and take a look.

Spent over an hour trying to pry the two sides apart, they are held together with a red jointing compounded. They refuse to part and I'm afraid I'll damage the unit if I use greater force. Anybody ever openned a Honda ECM?

Al.

Reply to
Al Moodie

that "red jointing compound" is probably rust. i've taken loads of honda ecu's apart and once the screws are out, the lids just pop off. all the sealing in the internal conformal coating, not the case.

i've never seen a problem with capacitors on honda ecu's. that was a cheapo chinese p.c. problem from the 00's.

Reply to
jim beam