Problems with Lumina ECM replacement

First, I have to mention that my mechanic replaced my fuel pump 2 months a go and ever since my fuel gauge doesn't work.

Latley the car started sputtering and stalling, so I got a diagnostic done at a GM dealership, they determined that my ECM was faulty. So I could not afford the kind of coin that they wanted so I had to depend on the mechanic at work. Here is the problem

Since the ECM has been replaced the car

  • does not stall or sputter any more :)
  • now my speedometer doesn't work :( * Seems like the car is starting in second gear :( * The inside of the car smells like gas fumes :( * The gas gauge still don't work

Can I please get some good advice. I want to know if you can program the ECM wrong, or install the wrong one etc... Or does my mechanic need to reread his repair manuals.

Reply to
tlneil

Shep

Sorry, The car is a 1993 3.1 ltr with 4 speed overdrive. Did I mention that the speedometer was working before the ECM replacement. I personally think that the mechanic made a mistake. Are both these gauges controlled by the ECM?

I long for the days of having a car without all of this computer stuff. I love technology, but not in cars :)

Reply to
tlneil

Reply to
Shep

yes the check engine light is on

Reply to
tlneil

Reply to
Shep

I just went for a drive and noticed that when I turn on my key the speedometer jumps a little so I guess that it atleast has power.

BTW. Thanks for the help so far

Reply to
tlneil

Reply to