Replacement key for 2001 Grand Cherokee

I am down to 1 key for my GC and want to get a replacement. I have found a source online for the blank key with the chip and it can apparently be programmed without any equipment. Problem is you need both original keys to do this. Do I have any other option short of going to the dealer? What will it cost to get a replacement from the dealer for the programmed key?

It seems ridiuculous that with 1 key and the VIN I can't get a key somewhere short of the dealer.

Reply to
michaeljc70

Programming a key requires specialized electronic equipment to interface with the Vehicle computer.

I also was in the same situation with only one key and I was able to get a new key, that I provided, cut and programmed at a local 'professional' locksmith for $24.95 I got Jeep branded transponder keys from a locksmith in California for $11.99 each + shipping.

Not all locksmith's provide this service. You may need to call around to find one with the proper equipment.

I would recommend that you get 2 keys..... Have the locksmith program one and then you can reprogram the other. The procedure if you have 2 working keys is quite simple and takes less than 30 seconds.

Reply to
billy ray

I forgot to mention that you will need to get the "SKIM" code from the dealership PARTS department. They will need your VIN to retrieve it and they may require proof that it is your vehicle (title, registration, etc.)

Reply to
billy ray

See

for instructions. You will need two original keys to do it yourself. Dealer can do it with one.

Larry

Reply to
larry

Reply to