0W20 oil

and this benefit is completely reversed by drl's...

can't have our mighty oil industry suffer from consumers being able to buy more economical cars now, can we? that's why "safety" [and thus vehicle weight] keeps being stepped up each time manufacturers make more economical engines - to keep actual consumption the same as it was 20+ years ago.

Reply to
jim beam

In a nutshell...

5/20 oil has the consistency of straight 5W oil when cold and straight 20W oil when hot.

No rocket science here..

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

I think it is more complicated than you think. The "W" in 5W doesn't mean "weight" it refers to "winter."

The SAE specifications define "cold" and "hot". Hot is 100 degrees C (212 F). Multiviscosity oils will behave differently than straight weight oils at other temperatures. I think a more correct way to express things is to say a 5W20 oil meets the low temperature requirements of a 5W oil and acts like a 20 weight oil when hot. The requirements for a 5W oil include things like a low temperture cranking viscosity at -30 degree C, a low temperature pumping viscosity at -35 degrees C, etc. (other "W" oils have different requiremetns at different low temperatures see chart in

). It doesn't mean the oil has the same viscosity as a straight 5 weight oil when cold, rather it means it has to meet the requirements for a 5W oil (where the "W" refers to "winter" not "weight"). Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Sounds good to me!

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

snip

If you really wanna get confused go to Bobistheoilguy web site and read how an oil's viscosity can change with use; i.e., that 0W20 you put into the car won't measure 0W20 when it comes out (it'll be "thicker").

Synthetic oil is probably cheapest at your local WalMart. A 5 qt jug is about $25. If it were my car, I'd feel comfortable running synthetic 0W20, 5W20,

0W30 or 5W30. Honda (or any other manufacturer) won't void the warranty over oil viscosity; but they will over missed oil changes or failing to keep the crankcase full (not more than a quart low).

Enjoy the new car.

Reply to
ACAR