1983 Prelude problems

I just got a 1983 Prelude to drive over winter. I am having some problems getting the thing to run properly. I'll start it up and it'll idle great for the longest time. As soon as I drive it for a few minutes it will start to struggle and the engine will die as soon as I push in the clutch. I can start it back up after it dies if I push slightly on the gas but as soon as I take my foot off of the gas it dies. If I leave it sit for maybe 15 minutes it'll start up and idle fine until I drive it again. I can't seem to figure out what the problem is. I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filters, air filter, and plugs. I also cleaned up the EGR valve and put in a new EGR valve gasket. I tested the EGR valve and doesn't leak and the diaphram open and closes normally. I checked for vacuum leaks and everything looks good. I replaced a couple of bad vacuum hoses (the 2 big ones on the intake manifold). What other things could I check?

Please CC my email address as well.

Thanks

Reply to
Kyle Peterson

I think I have found the problem(s).

  1. The vacuum advance thing is stuck and doesn't hold a vacuum.
  2. The insulator on the drivers side carb is sucking in air.

Now I have a question. How do I get at the clamp for the carb insulator? I want to try tightening the clamp but the screw to tighten it is not accessable.

Reply to
Kyle Peterson

Are you sure it's the vacuum advance that's stuck? Leaking is a common problem, but if the advance plate in the distributor won't move, then the distributor usually needs to be overhauled.

Eric

Reply to
Eric