1990 Honda Accord driver door update

I posted a while back about my 1990 Honda Accord. The driver door wouldnt open. I found someone to fix it. They took off the door panel and destroyed the old latch mechanism with hammer and chisel to get the door open. Then it was easy to change the latch.

$250 labor + 250 parts

Gene Wagenbreth

Gene Wagenbreth wrote in news:fr3p7e$ snipped-for-privacy@venera.isi.edu:

How was the interior door panel removed? That's the important thing! Once you have that off the job is easy.

Reply to
Tegger

------------------------

I'm in the wrong business. Gonna get me a HAMMER and a CHISEL ! !

Any AAA tow truck driver would have opened your door for CASH $ 20.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

I dont know how he got the door panel off. I will ask.

A tow truck driver could not have gotten the door open. The problem was in the actual 'thing' that holds the door closed. pulling the levers etc did not open the door.

Gene Wagenbreth

On a Repair/Replace Analysis, considering that $500 is a healthy percentage of the total value of the car, I'm not sure I would have done the repair....

Reply to
Piso Mojado

Gene Wagenbreth wrote in news:fr488m$ snipped-for-privacy@venera.isi.edu:

That's the main thing. It's the one thing everybody asks how to do in here when they complain their door won't open.

So you're saying the latch internals had broken?

Reply to
Tegger

"Piso Mojado" wrote in news:hvGdnfsJ3oH3LUjanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

That's not really a fair comparison. More realistic would be to compare the costs of fixing the car to what it would cost to replace the entire car with something known with certainty to be in better condition. It's that comparison which has me hanging on to my '91 Integra.

Reply to
Tegger

Well true-- it's usually cheaper to repair than replace. But the repair costs do add up.

Not to mention the inconvenience, lost time, frustration, or safety issues--- as in you (or your wife/kid) get stranded at night in the wrong side of town or have Old Betsy crap out while going 75 mph on the interstate...in the rain/snow....or two states away from home...or on your way to an important client meeting...or on the way to the ER....

Me? When I lose confidence in my ride, I buy a new one.......

Reply to
Piso Mojado

"Piso Mojado" wrote in news:b8idnY4W45yBWEjanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

They certainly do. But they're still cheaper than buying new.

That's what happens when the car's not taken care of. If you're going to own an older car, you have to take it there from new, and be fanatical about maintenance on the way.

As will I. If that ever happens.

Reply to
Tegger