96 Explorer Door Handle Problem

Recently my daughters 96 Explorer's (XLT) Drivers door handle (outside) changed... Now, instead of engaging right away, it feels loose and engages the opening mechanism near the end of it's range of motion.

Hopefully this explanation is not too vague and someone can shed some light as to the problem and if it needs to be fixed right away or if it is something that will not cause immediate problems such as being unable to open the door from the outside.

Thanks in advance.

John

Reply to
John Ahnen

It sounds like the latch connecting arm or the handle itself is broken. You will not know until you pull off the door panel and see. You will need to remove the panel anyway to fix whatever the problem is.

Reply to
Mikepier

It's a common problem, fix it soon or else when it breaks completely you can't open the door from the inside or outside! I found this out from experience. Had to spend about an hour with a slim jim to open the door so I could remove the panel and replace the handle and latch. New hardware to fix it is not real expensive.

Reply to
Bob

Thanks for the info. Any tips about how to get the panel off without breaking stuff, and where I can order the necessary parts? I could google up a hundred supply places, but are there any you may have used that are better than others? Thanks again.

Reply to
John Ahnen

Although I have taken off door panels of my other cars in the past, I have never done so with my Explorer, so this is a general description of how to take off any door panel. First remove any visible screws. They might be in the inside the door handle area or perhaps hidden with a cap of some sort. Then gently pry off the panel with a wide blade chisel or similiar tool. The panel is held in with plastic fasteners. If some should break, they can easily be replaced from any auto parts store. But the key is to pry the panel off gently. Once you have gotten the panel loose, you may have to lift it up a bit to clear the top of the door because the top of the panel sits a little recessed in the top of the door. You may have to disconnect the electrical harness for the windows, locks, etc. Once you have the panel off, see whats wrong with your handle. I do not know where is the best place to get parts other than the dealer. Even if you have to order the parts, I'm sure the truck can be driven without the panel for a few days.

Reply to
Mikepier

I think the part I used came from:

did a good job of describing how to take the panel off. It's pretty straightforward, no surpises. It's still hard to get to the broken part even with the door panel off though.

Reply to
Bob

The repair manual for explorers that I bought explains how to remove the door panel, but it says that the removal should be done with the window down. Can it be removed with the window up, or do you have to raise the window after the door panel is off?

Thanks, just trying to get all the info I can before I tear into it and screw it up.

John

Reply to
John Ahnen

The '96 Ford factory Explorer service manual I have doesn't say anyting about the window having to be or down when removing the door panel, whether for window replacement or locks, handles, etc.

I myself have remove the panel with the w>

Reply to
Fred 2

Thanks for the info!

Reply to