1990 Honda Accord - drivers door won't open

1990 Honda Accord - drivers door won't open

No trouble with door in the past. This morning it will not open from inside or outside. Everything feels OK with lock and door handles. But the door doesnt budge.

So what do I do to try to fix it myself. Or where do I take it, a body shop ? I don't like the dealer. For this old a car they want to charge an arm and a leg and it isnt worth it.

sigh

Gene W

Reply to
Gene Wagenbreth

Gene, the door has to come apart for it to get fixed. You can figure out how to take it apart yourself or have someone else take it apart for you. You have to figure out where the screws are hidden and get them out.

I did this for different cars, and it is a pain in the butt, but not that hard.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Gene Wagenbreth wrote in news:foa933$ snipped-for-privacy@venera.isi.edu:

Do you have AAA?

Reply to
Tegger

Yes, I have AAA. I am driving the car by getting in and out the passenger door.

Gene Wagenbreth

Let me ask the obvious question in January, is it frozen shut? did it rain or snow last night, did it get below freezing?

Reply to
Justbob30

Gene Wagenbreth wrote in news:foatns$ snipped-for-privacy@venera.isi.edu:

Put the car keys on the seat. Lock all your doors and close them.

Call AAA. Tell them you locked yourself out and you need them to open the door with their burglar tools.

The guy will unlock the door but discover he can't open it. You can then ask him to manipulate the linkage from inside the door and get it open for you. Evidently the door is now broken and you need to fix it, and you can't fix it with the door shut, right?

You pay for AAA. Might as well use it.

I'm always astonished how fast they can break into cars. A few seconds, no more.

Reply to
Tegger

I don't think AAA will cover this.

Reply to
Jeff

Excellent. If the AAA guy can't open a door, then you don't have your keys. Having an open door won't make much difference. It still won't work.

Reply to
Jeff

OK, I gotta ask... Who do youse Canadians know about AAA???

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Leave a window open just in case!

Most people have two sets of keys, no? He just "doesn't happen to have them available"

Reply to
Say What?

Jeff wrote in news:pJ8qj.20100$Ou1.17944@trnddc07:

The point is that with the door open, you can now remove the door panel and fix the broken clip. You can't do that with the door stuck shut.

The AAA will get your door open for FREE. Beats paying a body shop or dealer, no? Plus the AAA guys are so experienced at this they do it with no damage to door or trim.

Reply to
Tegger

Grumpy AuContraire wrote in news:3M8qj.200916$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

We have CAA, which the Canadian equivalent. CAA and AAA share duties, so a CAA membership is good for the US and a AAA membership is good for Canada.

Reply to
Tegger

Jeff wrote in news:vH8qj.20099$Ou1.13091@trnddc07:

Part of AAA's job is getting you out of a locked car when you "don't have spare keys".

Once the guy pops the lock and it's discovered the door won't open, you're supposed to act all innocent and say, "Aw geez, now I'll have to take the door panel off to fix it. Do you think you could move the latch mechanism and get the door open for me?"

It's free and certainly worth a try before doing it the hard way, no?

Reply to
Tegger

Tegger wrote in news:Xns9A3BE0E47C28Ftegger@207.14.116.130:

Unfortunate mistake!

That should read "getting you INTO a locked car..."

Reply to
Tegger

Tegger wrote in news:Xns9A3BD13602D38tegger@207.14.116.130:

I found out how fast when my Integra GS-R was stolen last June. Not a good way to find out,either.

Death to auto thieves!

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Tegger wrote in news:Xns9A3BDFE26DBECtegger@207.14.116.130:

reminds me of the joke about the [insert ethnic group] who locked his keys in his car;

It took 2 hours to get his family out.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

you need the gun and rottweiler solution. /really/ freakin' effective.

Reply to
jim beam

jim beam wrote in news:dJqdnQU5j4C4rjTanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

Just don't shoot the Rottweiler.

Reply to
Tegger

if the rotty's doing its job, you won't need to shoot anything! just dial 911 and have the ambulance collect what's left of the remains out of your driveway.

Reply to
jim beam

On my car you can.

But why should we pay for this repair when it is not an emergency? By we, I mean the other members of AAA.

Reply to
Jeff