1991 Accord Lives Forever!

- Fixed the oil leaks (no more cookie sheet under the engine when I park! Yay!)

- New brake master cylinder

- New tires

- Replaced the O2 sensor (no more pesky code 43!)

Ready for another 50,000 miles.

I love this car.

-Mark

Reply to
Mark

Actually, this is normal design (my '85 turbo Volvo is the same). Injectors are often made to work with less than 12 volts, and ballast resistors limit the heat the injectors are subjected to. The wasted energy is unimportant.

There wouldn't be any point to putting a filter in the auto tranny. The fluid suffers from breakdown (as do all modern auto tranny fluids) before a filter would pick up anything important. Any metal particles just settle to the bottom of the tranny and are flushed out when the fluid is changed. My daughter's '93 Accord is on its original tranny at over 210K miles, so the durability can't be all that bad. It has already outlasted pretty much any Taurus transmission :-)

That's a new one on me. The role of EGR is to dilute the combustion charge and thus limit peak temperatures. How does that make the Honda EGR "worse than useless?"

The coil is plenty powerful when in good condition. Yes, the coil failure rate is higher than we would like and is similar to the ignitor failure rate... and much like the coil failure rate in most modern cars. Each is likely to need replacement once during the long life of a well cared for Honda - typically around 150K or 200K miles. I sometimes think it is a good idea to replace the coil and ignitor at 150K miles, keeping the known working ones as emergency spares, and to replace the alternator brushes every 150K miles - as in all cars.

So, what car do you recommend?

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

The RC circuit copes with winding inductance, solenoid momentum, pull strength versus hold strength, and allows for voltage drops while cranking. It's not at all a flaw. It's getting exactly what you need done with one or two inexpensive and robust components.

[snip]

Oh, this posting only gets worse...

Reply to
Kevin McMurtrie