heater fan/blower

I have a 1999 honda civic. As of a couple of weeks ago when I turn on my heater/air cond it sounds like a loud lawnmower, Its so loud I cant even hear the radio. Any suggestions as to what this might be?

Reply to
sandy

If it started suddenly, I suspect a piece of debris has made its way into the fan. I don't know how access is in your Civic; maybe somebody else will know. It's also possible it can be removed by turning the fan low and setting the heater to "recirculate," then using a vacuum cleaner to suck the debris out the recirculation pickup (maybe the same person will know where that is).

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Reply to
sandy

Thanks Mike, its not to accessible, the dash has to be removed. It sounds like the motor is going out

Michael Pardee wrote:

Reply to
sandy

No, it's probably not the motor, it's most likely leaves in the fan cage. I pulled the fan out of my Mums '99 Civic at the weekend and cleared out a ton of leaves all the way from the air inlet above the fan to the pollen filter. You can access some of Honda's workshop manuals from here and see how it all goes together, choose the Civic 1995-1997 it's got the same internals as your 1999 model:

In a nutshell: you remove two screws at the hinge or the glovebox and put that to one side and then unclip the power connector to the fan (underneath the passengers right foot), unscrew 3 screws (8mm socket required DON'T use power tools or you'll strip the plastic!!) the fan can then be dropped out with a bit of wriggling to clear the trim panel in the footwell and cleaned out. Then remove 4 screws (again 3 require an 8mm socket 1 needs a 10mm socket) holding the metal bar at the base of the glovebox, drop one end to the floor and you can then remove the access panel to the pollen filter and clean out the duct from the fan to that point. Put it all back together and check you have no spare parts left over and it'll be quiet again. You may need to replace both the pollen filter and/or the resistor pack (it controls the fan speed) the resistor pack sits immediately above the fan and is held in place with two screws just pull it and visually check the 3 coils to see if they are burnt or brittle; change it if it looks bad.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan

Thank you Chris, I will do that this weekend

Chris Dugan wrote:

Reply to
sandy