1991 Civic Stalls

Hi.

My car has developed a problem that I cannot find a solution to. It is a 1991 Honda Civic Special Edition (Canadian Model), 1.5L, 180,000kms. It is basically a DX with power steering and no AC.

To the problem...

The car stalls. It only stalls when warm, and only when coming to a stop. To be exact, only after coming to a stop. Sometimes it does not stall, but almost stalls, then recovers. Sometimes is almost stalls, then recovers and over revs, then almost stalls again. Back and Forth. Sometimes it fixes itself, other times it stalls. Most of the time, it immediately settles down to idle as it should, but at least once per trip it will act up. It will sometimes stall with a gentle throttle blip at idle as well.

The problem first started occurring when I had to back the car down a hill into my driveway. The problem continues and seems to get slightly worse all the time.

The car always starts immediately after a stall. The check engine light is not on, and the ECU is not showing any codes. I have cleaned the injectors, replaced plugs, rotor, cap, fuel and air filter. Every time I do something nice for the car, it behaves for about one tank of gas, then it acts up again. It happens when it is hot out, and when it is cold, on summer gas and on winter gas, full tank and empty tank. On high octane and low octane. Even though it happens regularly, I cannot force the event to occur.

The dealer says they cannot do anything unless it stalls for them. Does anyone have any idea what might be the cause of this? With this exception, the car feels great and the engine is strong.

I appreciate any help or suggestions.

Thanks.

-Paul

Reply to
Paul

if it's a function of braking, check the one-way valve on the brake servo or the vacuum line for leaks.

Reply to
jim beam

My Civic also stall. First during the warming up, the RPM surge then hesitate all the time, then settle down. During the stoping at stop sign, sometimes I feel the tiny bit of staling l, not the major install. It's so tiny stalling that I just ignore. I've seen many stall problem on Honda that i think it's just normal as long it does not effect on driving. My stalling hardly effect on driving.

Reply to
mmdir2002

If you determine it's not the brake assist check valve, get a cheap diagnostic fuel pressure gauge (compatible with fuel injection pressures - not the 6-10 psi gauge) and tape it to the windshield. If the fuel pressure dips when you slam on the brakes, it could be something in the fuel tank (pump pickup, etc).

Reply to
scromwell2

I don't know if this applies to Hondas, but if it is an automatic tranny with a lockup torque converter that symptom can mean a bad lockup solenoid. For that problem, in addition to stalling there is a feeling of shuddering (instead of dying away) when coming to a stop, just like leaving the clutch engaged too long on a manual tranny.

Otherwise, I like "scromwell2's" recommendation with a fuel pressure guage. It would answer a range of questions.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Honda has the lockup solenoid on top of the tranny. Its look like two cylinders and a filter underneath it. Take it out and has a deep clean.

Good lick

Reply to
Eric