1993 Civic 1.5 LSi UK starting problems

After I haven't used my Civic for a couple of weeks and do a short journey of about 15 minutes, switch off and then attempt to start about 10 minutes later it won't start until I take the fuel filler cap off to relieve the fuel pressure - then it starts no problem. The fuel filler cap is a not the original - I don't know if this is a problem, should it be vented in some way?

I do 200 mile motorway journeys in the car every few months and it always starts fine in the next few days after that...Apprieciate any ideas! thanks.

Reply to
timtech

Is the replacement fuel cap OEM or aftermarket? This should be OEM.

However, I think the actual problem is with the main relay.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

agreed.

Reply to
jim beam

If it was the relay wouldn't the problem manifest itself more often? I have heard about dry solders and all sorts though...

Reply to
timtech

no, it's only intermittent - happens to most hondas round about this age. if it really was a gas thank problem, you wouldn't be able to drive 200 miles.

Reply to
jim beam

We just encountered a similar problem. Our 93 Civic has sat in the garage for over 2 weeks while we were away on holidays. This morning it would not start. The lights come on, and there seems to be battery power, but nothing from the starter. Any thoughts?

Reply to
Sulpicia

Reply to
loewent via CarKB.com

CarKB.comhttp://www.carkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/honda-cars/200708/1 update on this: it is still reluctant to start unless we push it backwards for about 1 car length. Then it fires right up, and starts well for the next few hours. Then it will need another push. It has an appointment with the garage this afternoon.

Reply to
Sulpicia

Sulpicia wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

"nothing" from the starter? No clicks? Do the lights dim when you try to crank?

could be a bad solenoid,worn solenoid contacts,or plunger sticking/not disengaging. try rapping it with a mallet.

Reply to
Jim Yanik