'97 Maxima starting problems....

I have a '97 SE with 115k miles that is having starting problems. A few weeks ago it was cranking and cranking but not starting. It would only do this occasionally; not all the time. Before that time, it would start immediately.

Finally got in one day and I turned the key and it did nothing. The starter was dead. Had that replaced and the mechanic who replaced it said the first time he tried starting it with the new starter it didn't catch either, so there's something else going on. But he couldn't repeat it to try and isolate the problems. It started everytime.

So now, over a week after the new starter, I've had no problems.... until this morning where it didn't start until the third try. I'm trying not to crank it for more than 2 - 3 seconds as I probably burned out the old starter by turning it for too long.

The mechanic told me you need electrical, spark and fuel to start a car. My electrical is fine, so that leaves spark and fuel. But since the car only has problems starting *sometimes*, taking it in for a diagnoses may do no good because it might not do it for them.

So my question is: if the problem is spark or fuel, what should I do to try and fix this? I know very little about engines, so I'm flying blind here. Should I just replace the spark plugs to see if that helps, or does "spark" refer to more than just plugs? And how could I check on whether it's getting fuel or not?

Background on the car: it's been great to me so far. I had a 90k mile maintenance done on it and had new plugs put in and the fuel injectors cleaned. And this morning when it wasn't starting I smelled gas after I finally got it running.

Need some help. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Tyler

Reply to
Tyler23

Could be problem with distributor, suggest changing cap & rotor. Fuel Pump maybe weak, may need have pressure check on pump. Next time, turn key to ignition but do not turn to start engine, wait for a few seconds, then turn off and try starting. Does it start then. If it does this could indicate a fuel pump going bad. Does the fuel pump make noise, has it gotten louder since you had this starting problem. How does it run after it starts?

Reply to
jjjsan

It's a '97 Max, not an '87. :-) Maxima's haven't had distributors, rotors or caps for at least 10 years -- since 1994 I believe.

Reply to
Dan

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 17:45:47 -0400, someone posing as Dan chisled in the wall:

THANK YOU!!

I read this thinking, oh s---! I didn't think I had one, but I'd better check it out (on my '98). Now I feel better.

Reply to
filesiteguy

You don't know too much about the Maxima engine....at least not the 4th generation engine (95-99). As stated, the maxima has not had a dist. in around 10 years, (no cap, no rotor, no wires, nada) the coils are mounted on top of each plug. I won't even begin to show my ignorance and tell you what fires the coils, because..... I don't know, I BELIEVE it is a combination of inputs from the cam position sensor to the computer and computer commands, but that is a WAG......(wild ass guess)

I learned along time ago, better to keep your mouth shut and let people wonder than to open it and confirm you don't know shit...

Steve T or NissTech are the people to ask about hard starts, and how the timing is done, or just about anything else Nissan. They are pretty knowledgeable when it comes to Nissans.

2maximas
Reply to
Bitsbucket

Did anyone check for error codes? I'd be looking at the temp and crank sensors.

-jim

Tyler23 wrote:

Reply to
JimV

You're smelling feul, so feul is coming through. The car is turning over , which it better since you replaced the starter. My guess would be electrical. You car is somewhat old so the ground points may not be as clean. Either buy an after-market grounding kit or clean the ground points on your car.

CD

CD

Reply to
Codifus