2001 Civic LX Whining at Start

I have a 2001 Civic LX automatic that whines (similar to R2D2 from Star Wars getting shot across a room) at the first start of the day and then goes away after about 5 minutes of driving. I took to a dealer, who said they checked the belts, but that they looked fine and that the starter needed to be replaced. I had that replaced and low and behold the car started easier, but the the whine was still there at the first start of the day. I took it back and they were "guessing" it was the transmission, but the car does not jolt or handle abruptly when the car is accelerating or down shifting- it is as smooth as the day I bought it and I have followed the maintenance schedule on the trans. fluid flushes.

I took it to another dealer, who said they could not find anything wrong with it. Yet the whining noise persists and has grown a little longer since I noticed it back in the winter. It did not used to whine in warmer weather, but it now is.

Has anyone else experienced this whining noise at first start or have any suggestions as to what it might be (I'm not buying the transmission "guess"- car only has 60K on it and like I said, there's been no problems at all in the shifting).

Your assistance would be most appreciated.

Reply to
redrider21

--------------------------------------

The drive belts on newer cars have to be TIGHT, much more than 20 years ago. If you have an AC idler pulley like the one cited in this cR-V TSB, that might be it too.

've been through a couple of these pulleys on high-mileage CR-V's. It sounds like your 'technicians' lack imagination, or motivation. :-(

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

Give it a Midol... :P

Reply to
Matt Ion

My '06 does the same thing.

Reply to
Steve Mackie

is the sound comming from the radio speakers? it may be alternator whine ,, the alternator re-charing the battery?

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Reply to