2002 Odyessey

I'm hearing about transmission problems on 2000 - 2003 Odyssey's. I'm about to (perhaps) buy a used one - 2002, all factory recalls have been done, including a transmission valve or cooler - any issues with those 2002's that have had the factory recall? I'd be the 3rd owner in only 38K miles - the van seems in great shape and I'd have the 30K service done before I bought it, as it was not done yet.

Any comments on the 2002 Odyssey would be appreciated.

Thanks

Scott

Reply to
Scott C

The transmission problems with the 02-03 models were way different than those with the 99-01 models, because in 02 the transmission became a completely different beast than before. It became a 5 speed, while the previous were 4 speed.

That being said, Honda obviously struggles with the design, engineering, and manufacture of automatic transmissions.

I have an 02, and it got the recall done, but if you go to odyclub.com you'll see many, many transmission issues even on the 02-04 models.

I, for one, will never pay for a transmission repair on my 02 for as long as I have it. Period. I have determined that myself, and I have a good relationship with my dealer, and frankly Honda knows how badly they screwed up--and based on all of that, I know I will not stop asking until Honda pays for everything should my transmission ever crap out.

You're probably safe, with only 38K miles and the recall already performed. But beware. And check out odyclub.com.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Thanks for the good info., will check the web site.

Reply to
Scott C