87 Honda Accord; Antifreeze burning out of exhaust.

I have a honda accord and sometimes when i start and drive, Heavy white smoke comes out of the car. It really bad and has an antifreeze scent to the smell. I just changed the alternater, because the battery was boiling. I got that fixed. It also has studdering during the manual shifts, then kicks in normal.

Reply to
matpex

You may need to replace the head gasket. A damaged head gasket allows water and oil to get combined. I once had a bad head gasket and the first clue was the oil was black within two days of an oil change. Water was making the oil have a black color. Your mechanic should easily be able to determine whether or not you have a bad head gasket. It's expensive to fix since it involves taking the engine apart.

Reply to
Jason

Oil is clear and fine. I could be crazy, but It's weird but this only happens after it rains. Could rainwater find its way into the exhaust? I just drove it today , works fine no smoke. Still has acceleration problems when shifting...it hesitates when manual shifting. Then kicks in.

Reply to
matpex

Oil is clear and fine. I could be crazy, but It's weird but this only happens after it rains. Could rainwater find its way into the exhaust? I just drove it today , works fine no smoke. Still has acceleration problems when shifting...it hesitates when manual shifting. Then kicks in.

Reply to
matpex

I'm with Jason and also think it is the head gasket. Rain water doesn't smell like antifreeze. You could cap the exhaust off next time it rains, but I seriously doubt that it is rain water. Usually you'll notice the white smoke in the morning when the car has been sitting a while. It will often become/is hard to start.

Reply to
remco

On 2005-05-14 snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com(Jason) said: >Newsgroups: alt.autos.honda >In article >, >"matpex" wrote: >> I have a honda accord and sometimes when i start and drive, Heavy >>white smoke comes out of the car. It really bad and has an >>antifreeze scent to the smell. I just changed the alternater, >>because the battery was boiling. I got that fixed. It also has >>studdering during the manual shifts, then kicks in normal. >You may need to replace the head gasket. A damaged head gasket >allows water and oil to get combined. I once had a bad head gasket >and the first clue was the oil was black within two days of an oil >change. Water was making the oil have a black color. My eyes have seen that as a cream color.

Tom Willmon near Mountainair, (mid) New Mexico, USA

PIT BULLDOG FOR SALE: Eats anything. Loves children.

Net-Tamer V 1.12.0 - Registered

Reply to
twillmon

Cracked head or head gasket, or leaky intake-manifold gasket, most likely. Compression test should help determine which - low compression on one cylinder will indicate the head or head gasket.

Reply to
Matt Ion

Check the trans. fluid level?

Reply to