91 Accord, Revamp possible?

I have a 91 Accord Ex and well its aged and my work is a bit of a drive. So sooner or later I need to invest into a newer car or maybe a newer engine?

Which comes to my question. Would it be possible to replace the engine and other parts? The transmission is brand new but the engine has well over 150k miles and every time it shifts the car kicks and so on.

Could I replace the engine with any other engine or does it need to be honda specific. Would I be better off contacting honda for a replace then?

Reply to
Gorilla3D

-----------------

You've described a Honda tranny with the incorrect transmission fluid in it. Are we talking about an automatic?? Your engine should be good for

400,000 miles before you have to think about major work, if ever.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

Yes, its an automatic. And the transmission fluid was added with honda specific transmission fluid, so this probably mean the person before me put in the wrong fluid. Would I have to extract it to correct the issue?

Reply to
Gorilla3D

yes. but drain and refill, don't "flush". you'll need to do it 3 times, and wait [and drive] a week or so between each drain so all the fluid in the torque converter circulates.

Reply to
jim beam

"Gorilla3D" wrote

What Curly said, but for your reference, yes, replacing Honda engines with younger but used ones is becoming increasingly common. The internet has many companies listed involved in this business. Typically for Civics such used engines run well under $1000. Add another $1000 (worst case) for labor. I know this because I think often of juggling bodies and engines for my 91 Civic. The engine at 203k miles seems in great shape. The body could stand some work.

Some folks exchange engines from other models and years of Honda. It's probably best to stick with your year and model, though.

Reply to
Elle

Please describe 'kicks'. . . We need more to go on.

Are you talking about the engine backfiring, or sputtering / hesitating, or is it the tranny 'slams' into the next gear each time? It's not unusual for a Honda tranny in that vintage to 'slam' into a low gear just as you slow to a near-stop, even my '97 CR-V does that. Tell us lots more.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_