91 civic crank angle senor

i recently did a head gasket on this car and replaced the timing belt. upon successfully starting the car and adjusting the valves, i took it for a drive.

at idle it runs fine. about 2 minutes into the drive (not sure if this is time or speed related) the check engine light would go on simultaneously as the car would lose power - as though a cylinder stopped firing.

after getting home, i check the ecu. it claims a crank angle sensor fault. this is located in the distributor, which is only a few months old, and is unreplaceable according to chiltons.

if i clear the code by pulling the hazard fuse for 10 seconds or so, the car starts up and runs great. again, it idles fine, take it for a drive, about 2 minutes later, bam, check engine and power loss.

now, the ecu has been known to be wrong before. any ideas?

thanks so much.

Reply to
larson.joshua

-----------------------------------

Did you put the 'heat sink' paste on the backside of the components that need it? Sounds like a heat buildup problem . . .

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

i'm unfamiliar with what you're talking about. could you enlighten me?

'Curly Q. L> >

Reply to
larson.joshua

----------------------------------

If somebody failed to put the heat sink paste (same as what's used on Pentium chips) when they assembled the components inside the ( new / used / reconditioned????) distributor (which was installed when the weather was cooler) you might be getting overheating problems / circuit shutdowns.

Do a google groups search.

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

yes, the distributor was remanufactured from Napa. i'd assume they assembled it correctly. i am not so sure i want to take it apart to find out...

i th> snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
larson.joshua

Is there anything besides the igniter that needs it?

Reply to
Elle

  1. consider returning the distributor under warranty.
  2. just the sensor cannot be replaced, you have to do the whole unit.
  3. ecu's are oh so very rarely defective. you can probably count on the fingers of one hand the number of them that are genuinely bad each year. check wiring & connectors.
Reply to
jim beam

"jim beam" wrote

You mean just the distributor sub-assembly.

Reply to
Burt

Speaking for the crank sensor, I wouldn't put heatsink paste on the crank sensor since it works best if it's isolated from the housing.

Reply to
Burt

whatever you bought a month ago.

Reply to
jim beam

don't know if this'll get buried anyway in the forum. thought i'd give a follow up.

took my distributer to napa tonight for warranty replacement. i bought it last year, june 17th. five days left on that one! can you say LUCK?

the guy at napa made no hassle whatsoever. he knows me probably a little too well.

got home, threw in the new dist. car started right up. went for a test drive after clearing ECU. drove for at least 15 minutes and everything seemed fine. i was doubtful the dist was faulty (i'm pretty skeptical after all the s**t i've been thru with cars), but figured what the heck. she ran fine. i think the timing was a tad off, but that can wait.

so keep your fingers crossed for me! this car just dodged a bullet by five days. if the warranty had expired it would've gone to the junk yard.

thanks to all.

jim beam wrote:

Reply to
larson.joshua