Adding an O2 sensor?

it's already done to some extent - angular velocity for each power stroke is measured, so any cylinder not producing the same "oomph" as the others gets individually tuned.

Reply to
jim beam

jim beam wrote in news:mIGdnQ8s88KDb5XYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

How does the ECU measure angular velocity? Crank sensor? That would really complicate the ECU's program and require a much faster processor.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

yes - that sawtooth thing.

check - and that's what we have! there's a lot of computing power out there. this stuff is small beer compared to what's in the average pc.

Reply to
jim beam

The sensor reaction time is nowhere nearly fast enough to do what you suggest.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Tegger commented not long ago on certain Fords having one oxygen sensor per cylinder. I googled and found support for this.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me, timing-wise that the ECU and O2 sensor could calibrate fuel going to each cylinder.

Reply to
Elle