Advice on a 98 Accord
So I have a 98 Accord EX V6 with 141k miles. I've always taken good
care of the car but recently the transmission went on the car. Dealer
wants almost $4000 to put in a remanufactured transmission or $3000 for
a used transmission with 85k miles and 1 year warranty.
Although I knew the trade in value would be dismal due to the high
mileage and expensive repair they quoted me $500.
Now I'm looking for advice on what to do next. The engine is strong,
the car recently passed emissions here in MA (last month), has leather
seats, CD, moon-roof all the EX loaded extras, but it also has a big
scratch on one side of the car (life in the big city).
So I'm looking for advice on what to do next with the car.
1) Take the trade in value of the car.
2) Do the repair then try to turn around and sell it. I'm imagining
with the high mileage and scratch I may recover the cost of the repair
and a bit more but not much. The KBB for a "fair" version of my car
with 141k miles is $5620.
3) Sell the car for parts. How does one go about this? What could I get
for a car like this?
4) Donate the car to charity for a tax write-off... although I've heard
new rules limit how much you can get for this option.
5) Other options I haven't thought of?
Any and all advice much appreciated thanks in advance,