Affordable, lightweight Honda roadster revival in the works?

From AB

There's a joke phrase from a popular movie that gets tossed around the Autoblog offices when ever a big change or announcement is coming: "Hold on to your butts." It's usually accompanied by a video of Samuel L. Jackson. That's the advice we'd recommend for reading this article. GTChannel is reporting that a new, small, lightweight, quick successor to the Honda S2000 is being "seriously considered."

Citing an unnamed source within the Japanese automaker, GTChannel goes on to list a few interesting tidbits about the new vehicle. From the sounds of it, though, if Honda is planning a new roadster, it's in the absolute earliest stages of development.

What's apparently being discussed is a car that's smaller than a Mazda MX-5, in terms of its dimensions. Under hood would be a VTEC engine, displacing anywhere from 1.3 to 1.5 liters, with GT Channel making the apt suggestion that the 1.5-liter, 132-horsepower mill from the Honda Fit could make its way into the new roadster. Curb weight would be in the realm of 2,000 pounds, which would make a 130-odd-hp engine seem absolutely heroic. Rear-wheel drive would be a given, although we aren't sure about the site's suggestion that a five-speed manual will be on offer. Styling could draw from the N-One, a popular, Honda-badged kei car.

As if this isn't all sounding too good to be true, the source also claims that Honda is targeting the $20,000 price point. The potential MX-5/Toyobaru fighter could be ready by 2015 or 2016. Now, we've checked our calendars, and April 1 is still over seven months away, but we'd still advise you take this with a rather large grain(s) of salt. Rumors of a new Honda roadster have appeared and disappeared with tide-like regularity since the moment the S2000 died, and none of them have come to pass. The NSX revival was followed by nearly a decade of will-they, won't-they rumors and telephone-game whispers before Honda actually buckled down and built something. It seems like the same thing could be happening here.

Reply to
MummyChunk

Yah, tell me about the NSX when they go on sale.

CAN Honda or anyone build a 2,000 pound car that will pass US safety regulations? I mean short of a carbon frame?

IF they built something like that, I hope they would also have a hybrid option that added another 30hp all the way up to the top end road speed, that's what Ferrari and Porsche are doing now, and what Honda *almost* tried in the hybrid Accord 6-cylinder of a few years back, of which they sold maybe a dozen copies - the electric boost did not work at speed, did it?

J.

Reply to
JRStern