Best NG for asking honda civic alarm sys problem...

What newsgroup would be the best place to ask a problem with auto theft alarm system?

Reply to
asklsa

Factory or aftermarket alarm?

Reply to
Matt Ion

Matt Ion wrote in news:060Xi.170357$Da.92130@pd7urf1no:

I had an alarm on my 94 Integra GS-R,it was stolen 3:40AM June 29th,driven off with the alarm blaring,taken in less than 60 seconds. (gated community,too) I didn't even have a chance to fire off a single shot.

Install a hidden fuel cutoff switch to disable the fuel pump. Better yet,remove the ECU,take it indoors.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

It's aftermarket alarm, I think. Got it used and it's acting up and I never bother to turn it on anyway. It arms itself randomly even when I turn it off. I just want to completely get rid of it but I'm s total newbie & don't know where to begin with. Don't think it's wise to just start cutting wires off. Any suggestions?

Reply to
asklsa

asklsa wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@drn.newsguy.com:

find out what brand and if possible,what model,then see if you can download the installation manual for it from the manufacturer's site,and that should have the data needed to uninstall it. If it has a starter disable,you may have to resplice a few wires. Chances are the control module is under the driver's side somewhere,possibly cable-tied to a bracket.

An alarm is only useful if YOU are around and able to respond to it in time,and prepared to deal with the thieves(IOW;armed). No one else is going to bother checking on your car.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Good choice - if it's got a starter or ignition kill or some other sort of immobilizer, simply cutting it out may disable the car altogether.

Best suggestion I'd have is just to take it to a car-stereo shop and ask them to remove it. Should take them no time at all and cost only a small service charge... some may even do it for free (or a tech may do it free on his own time) if you offer to let them keep the alarm.

Reply to
Matt Ion