Breaking in a new car

Awl--

07 Honda Fit--yeah, I know, it's only 1/2 a car.... :) Indeed, as short as an Echo! 4 cyl, 1500 cc, about 110 hp, sposedly almost 35 mpg (Consumer Report)

I ask because the initial mpg's are awful, between 20-25, mebbe better now, w/ 500 mi. on it. Is that normal?

I've heard to rev the engine hard, etc.

At what point do you start doing this? And how hard, what rpm, for how long, etc? Would like as much detail as possible.

When is a small 4 cyl broken in? When do the mpg's get up to where they're sposed to be?

How bout 6 cy/8 cyl engines? If different break-in procedure, why?

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

AFAIK, new cars don't need to be *broken in* anymore. Just get in it and go.

Lg

Reply to
Lawrence Glickman

There's no special break-in procedure. But the engine WILL break itself in over time, and mileage will improve. Brand new engines have terrible combustion gas leakage past the rings until the rings "seat" to the cylinder wall. I've had cars where the mileage improved drastically in the first 2000 miles or so, and then continued to improve more slowly over another 15000 miles or so.

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:

Reply to
Steve