Can an OEM air filter be cleaned?

An oem air filter for my 01 prelude is $42. The after market STP version is $21. I understand the original is a woven glass fiber vs. paper for the new one. I put in the stp and wondered if there was any way to restore the old one. Rinsing it with water showed no dirt particles. I don't have access to compressed air, but would that work?

Reply to
finding z0

finding z0 wrote in news:d778f66d-ac82-4085-affa- snipped-for-privacy@v22g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

Cleaning is not recommended.

How many years was the old filter in service?

Reply to
Tegger

Hell Tegger, only 11 years...... It's been years since I've posted here. Do you still have the '91 Integra? I sold my a couple of years back. It wasn't doing very well.

Reply to
findingZzero

findingZzero wrote in news:350465f9-86ed-479b-9b57- snipped-for-privacy@z31g2000vbt.googlegroups.com:

Still have it. 380,000 miles. Original engine and tranny.

Mine has problems as well.

1) oil consumption high (1400 mi/qt) 2) brakes vibrating (again; time for new rotors) 3) vibration from transmission bearing.

The third one requires a rebuild or replacement of the tranny. I'm not sure I want to spend the money. So I might not have the car in a year... Thinking of a CR-V.

Reply to
Tegger

while some people regard it as academic for an older vehicle, the truth is that good filters are definitely more effective than cheap ones - better particle filtration to smaller sizes with less pressure drop. you'd be better going with another aftermarket brand like wix than stp which cut every corner possible.

as for cleaning, it's pretty much impossible. and if you priced in your time and materials used trying to do so, it would make no economic sense even if you could.

just shop for better pricing on a better filter.

Reply to
jim beam

Bought the missus a new '10 CR-V shortly after the '11 models came out. Got a nice break on the price. She loves it and I've driven it some too. It is a very nice vehicle, especially for the money. I also see where the current Consumer Reports-- the automotive issue-- top-rates it for reliability.

My only complaint is the shape of the seats and the shape of my butt/lower back aren't a good match-- unlike my '07 Accord EX-L ;-)

Reply to
Douglas C. Neidermeyer