Can You Top This?

Put a new battery in my '99 Honda Accord. Went to use the radio, and it was shut down hard. Called Ed Voyles Honda in Atlanta for assistance and was quoted $100 to reset the radio. Thought he was joking, maybe April 1st? Nope, service manager confirmed price.

Called local mom & pop mechanic. Instructed me over the phone.

Cost to me $0.

Reply to
Tony Vigliotti

Do you have a business relationship with Ed Voyles Honda, or was this your first time calling them?

Did you have an existing relationship with mom & pop shop, or was this the first time you called them?

The answers to these questions are VERY important in evaluating what you're saying.

Remember, the Honda dealership is an independent business, just like the local mom & pop shop. If you're a good customer, they'll take care of you--just like the local mom & pop shop.

Of course, maybe they won't. That's their business. It in no way reflects on any OTHER independent Honda repair facility.

Or was this your way of simply getting your story out to make the dealership look bad?

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Next time you have to disconnect your battery, get yourself a memory saver like one of these

or one of these
They will provide just enough current to keepthe IC chips in your radio and other devices alive. Just don't turn anyaccessories on including the dome light (so either don't open the door orturn it off). That will quickly overwhelm the small amount of current theyprovide and you'll wind up losing the memory anyways. Eric

Reply to
Eric

Ed Voyles in Atlanta is actually a pretty considerate dealership. They have free single-use size tubes of KY Jelly in a little basket siting on the customer's side of service writer's desk-- and another basket on the ledge in front of the cashier's window when you'll need it again.

Reply to
Slacker

Of course, since they're "Blue Point", you can find them for less somewhere else, e.g.,

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Thanks, looks like a helpful little device that I can use often.

Reply to
Tony Vigliotti

It is in the owners manual. Get it out and read it.

Reply to
Woody

The problem with the commercial products is that every power outlet I have ever seen or know of on a Honda are switched. Turn off the ignition, and there goes your memory. Attaching leads directly to the battery cables makes a lot of sense.

Elliot Richmond Itinerant astronomy teacher Freelance science writer

Reply to
Elliot Richmond

Yes, logic would dictate that, and that is something I preach too. When all else fails, consult the instruction book (owner's manual). However, the 1999 Accord manual offered no helpful info. The next owner should have it a little easier though. I typed up detailed instructions and attached them inside my owner's manual for the next guy.

Reply to
Tony Vigliotti

Jeez louise can we clone you, Tony Vigliotti?

Thank you for being, I bet, a heckuva all around citizen. Though maybe you want to give those good folks at the local mom 'n pop shop a little of your business in the future, no? Ah, you probably already wrote down to do this. :-)

"Tony Vigliotti" wrote

Reply to
Elle

BWAHAHAHAHA!!! Some of the people that have recently bought up the Toyota dealerships in my area could take this advice!

Reply to
Hachiroku