Civic Control Arm

I have a 97 civic that is running on a bent front right control arm. I was told that fastening it to something like a tree or pole and simply pulling it into place is possible. I was told not to however turn on the car and reverse it as the wheel is less than an inch away from scrapin the back of the fender. someone even told me that a hammer could perhaps be enough to help me out. I need to know if im buying new parts here or if i should grab the biggest rope i got?

Reply to
amartinez61

Are you talking about the lower control arm? Have you priced used ones from a wrecking yard? Note that a used one may need to have bushings replaced.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1183092563.623118.223480 @i13g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

No. You will simply end up pulling body mount points out of place, or bending something else.

You're getting some pretty bad advice there, buddy.

Eric has the right idea. A lower control arm from the wreckers is going to be as cheap as you can get.

Having said all the above, if the control arm is bent, you can bet the impact which damaged that has bent a lot of other stuff as well. You would be _extremely wise_ to spend the money for an alignment after you replace the arm. You may find it will be necessary to have a body shop use their proper professional methods to pull the suspension back into compliance.

Reply to
Tegger

indeed. replace [junkyard is fine], then body shop for alignment correction.

Reply to
jim beam