civic transmission noise

i just got back from helping a friend fix their noisy civic transmission. i gather this is a common failure and we replaced the input bearing accordingly.

upon dissection, i found this:

the spalling is from high load, but i also suspect that the spacing of the spalled regions has its origin in the original assembly of the conrad bearing in the first place. there's nothing like a little assembly brinelling to disrupt smooth rotation and cause high localized loading impulses.

Reply to
jim beam

Whoa, what kind of loads was that civic handling? Did you replace the bearing with something better than the original?

Reply to
cameo

I believe that this happened to our 97 Civic Ex coupe with 90K miles on it. One Honda dealer rebuild for $2200 and the noise went away.

Lynn

Reply to
Lynn McGuire

nothing special, just a stock motor - d15b2.

short of boring out the housing and fitting a bigger one, i'm not sure that's possible. i just replaced it with another honda bearing for ~$20. if it lasts another 200k miles with the wrong transmission oil like the last one, i'll be happy.

Reply to
jim beam

hey, for $2200, i'll rebuild your next one. and shine your hubcaps. and deliver with a full tank of gas.

Reply to
jim beam

And a tray of fresh sushi?

J.

Reply to
JRStern

that would be a different kind of bearing job.

Reply to
jim beam

and then go off for a month in Hawaii, after sending in the check for your Roth IRA.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty