Differential fluid change e46

I'm also changing the rear differential fluid for my '02 325i with 60K. I was also looking at the Redline 75w 90 gear oil. Can I use this fluid as a replacement for this model year? The dealer does not sell the fluid in small bottles, only in 50 gallon containers which is no use for me.

I just wanted to be sure.

TIA, Will

Reply to
weng94

The perfect choice.

R / John

Reply to
John Carrier

Yes, Redline differential fluid is good stuff and highly recommended. You should easily be able to find it at any auto parts store. If not, online sources like BMA parts, Baverian Autosport, and BMP carry it.

If you still can't find it, do a search for Redline Oil's website. It should be able to direct you to a local auto part store.

Alternatively, any excellent fluid I'm using in my 90 E34 535i, 5spd,

104K miles, is Royal Purple. I recently tried it when I changed out my trans and diff fluids. The shifting in my car is very, very smooth and the differential is quiet.

At 60K, its time to change both your transmission and differential fluids!-

Reply to
bfd

Thank you both. I just picked up the red line gear oil at my local auto store.

I will also replace the automatic tranny fluid too. For this, can I use the redline D4 synthetic or the royal purple??

I was told that the auto tranny for this model year uses only a specific fluid approved by BMW (possibly the Esso LT 71141) and that there are no compatible fluids to this one.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken

TIA, Will

bfd wrote:

Reply to
weng94

You should contact Redline for specific application:

Similarly, Contact Royal Purple to see what they recommend:

bfd