Should i change the differential fluid?

Hello again. I have a 1986 Volvo 240 DL sedan with automati transmission and 187,000 miles. I had the trans rebuilt in 2002 bu have otherwise had no major trouble. My question is that every time get an oil change at my quick lube place, the technician pressures m to have my differential fluid changed (along with other services lik radiator, brake fluid flush, etc.) Now I have always had all of th other maintance services at regular intervals since 2000 when purchased the vehicle with 133,000 miles on the odometer. But I hav never had a differential fluid changed nor have I had any othe differential work performed. So I have no idea when or if differentia service has ever been performed on the car. However the car is handlin fine and I notice no indications that the transaxel/differential i having any trouble (no unusual noises, etc) So my question is should have the differential service performed, or is the differential designe to be maintenance free? Are there any risks to having the differentia service, ie could it/will it cause more problems then I had to begi with (none yet)? Or should I definitly have the service. Any thought on this item would be greatly appreciated as I know very little abou the differential components of my car

-- wirry142

----------------------------------------------------------------------- wirry1423's Profile:

'6View this thread:

wirry1423

about the only risk is that you might start a leak where there isn't one already! That's a relatively small risk. Certainly, you should have the level of fluid in the differential checked occasionally, and brought up to the proper level if it's low.

I did change the fluid in my '89 240 about a year or so ago. The car had about 210,000 miles on it. Easy to do, just unscrew the top (add fluid) plug, then unscrew the bottom (drain) plug. I put in some synthetic differential fluid from one of the local auto stores. Took maybe half an hour, haven't had any problems since (or before, for that matter!)....

Reply to
Al Dente

Personally I like to change the coolant, brake fluid, transmission fluid and differential fluid at least once every two years.

The differential has no filter, and the only way to get wear particles and contaminants out of there is by changing the fluid.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Why not it gets old and messy too ?But that is if you can open it ,I did changed the oil all ok .Then when I went to check the oil after a Volvo dealers free check day the bolt both in and out were so tight I cant open them .Why oh why do people use brute force when a little teflon tape at the most will stop any problems.My old Fairlane use a rubber bung in the filler on the differential nary a worry ever .

"wirry1423" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au...

Reply to
John Robertson