CRV Road Noise

I have read everything I could find on the road noise topic and I fail to see any reference to undercoating the damned thing. Has anyone tried that, and, if so, did it make any difference??

Reply to
Wayne

Hi, Not on CRV but when my wife picked up Suzuki SX4 JLX this spring, we had it under coated. Big difference muting road noise for sure!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Changing tires on our '05 made a HUGE difference. Now the loudest noise cruising on the highway is the wind around the mirrors.

Reply to
Nick Cassimatis

----------------------------

Where (in the world) have you been reading? Tire noise is number ONE,. and Honda doesn't encourage undercoating, but you're free to do what you want. You didn't mention what year of CR-V we're talking about, or the country. New CR-V's may come with different tires depending on where they were built.

You can read through the owner's manual here:

Here's a sample of a 'road noise' thread:

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

-----------------------------

Here's another link entitled: " Stock OEM Bridgestones suck!!!! "

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

My wife drives a 07 CR-V and I don't notice any excessive road noise. I think Curly hit the nail on the head and tires are the main issue of road noise. Ours has Continental 4 x 4 Contact's. Nice tire and quiet.

What year is yours and what kind of tires?

FYI: My car on the other hand is a 03 Subaru Legacy wagon and it suffers from road noise mainly from wind at speed.

Reply to
TrailRun

Ours is a 2004 that we just bought this summer. It has Bridgstone All Seasons on it. We went on a 2000 km road trip with it this fall and although I was expecting some road noise based on the reports we read before we bought it, we didn't anticipate it would be as bad as it was.

I have read everything I could find on the problem and just wondered if it might be worth it to spend a couple of hundred dollars on undercoating. I'm not sure I want to spend the $800.00 that some have spent putting that sound proofing padding underneath the carpet.

I asked the dealer about the noise and the person I talked to sounded surprised that road noise is a problem.

The tires are due for replacement soon and we have a list that we have saved for consideration. Continental 4 x 4 Contact's will be on that list.

Reply to
Wayne

Mine is an '06. Also with the OEM Bridgestone tires. I was expecting some road noise because all my previous Hondas were bad about it and Consumer Reports listed road noise as a noteworthy "low" for the CR-V. I wasn't prepared for how bad it actually was. The road noise basically made the radio un-hearable at highway speeds. Like you, I have been frustrated in finding any useful advice on what to do.

I bought a roll of quilt batting at the local fabric store (about $10 total) and put it behind the rear wheel well plastic and under the spare tire well liner. It makes a difference of two ticks better on the volume for the radio. Based on that, I suspect undercoating would help a lot, but I haven't run across an after-action report from anyone who actually did it.

I think it is telling that some of the announcements from Honda for the '07 redesign of the CR-V touted "greatly improved soundproofing". It would be interesting to see what they did.

Reply to
E Meyer

What brand of tires?

Reply to
bigjcw1023

Michelin, X-Radials, if I remember correctly (car's not here to check).

Reply to
Nick Cassimatis