CVT Info

Any information available on the Continuously Variable Transmission ?

On Fri, 19 Aug 2016 09:03:16 -0400, SteveGG
Did google break?
On 1/20/2017 6:53 PM, J.L.Hemmer wrote:

Funny. Better than the standard answer: Google is your friend.
On Friday, August 19, 2016 at 9:03:16 AM UTC-4, SteveGG wrote:

Not sure what you are looking for, but my nearly 3-year experience is that the CVT in an Accord has a bit of roughness at low speeds and no issues at all at higher speeds. Kind of spooky on highways when RPM goes up and down on hills without any input, but you get used to it. Compared with a 2003 Accord 4-cylinder manual, the 2014 Accord 4-cylinder CVT gets much better f uel mileage, both city and highway. Got a little over 40 mpg on an eastern seaboard trip, might see better in the Midwest.
On 1/21/2017 7:24 AM, Dave wrote:

I have a 2013 and agree about the roughness at low speeds. No biggie but quite noticeable initially. Now I am used to it.
It also seems to provide a lot of engine braking, something I would not expect with FWD.
Once upon a time on usenet Jim wrote:

Damn! I'm a Honda man, dislike automatic transmissions but was considering buying a second-hand CVT Honda. (I used to have a CVT step-through scooter back in the 1970s and really liked the idea, wondered why it took so long to get into cars.)
On second thoughts high engine braking might not be a deal-breaker - one of the (many) things I dislike about traditional auto trans is the *lack* of engine braking. I guess I need to test drive one, and not just a putter around town type of test drive.
Cheers,
--
Shaun.