engine problems

ok i have a 2001 honda civic ex 1.7l v-tech and my problem just recently started....i was driving down the interstate and my car just suddenly shut off and started right back up but wouldnt go over 40 mph started spitting sputtering and bogging down would not pick up no power at all....i popped my hood when i got home and my headers were glowing almost see through..well a few days later two relays behind my glovebox started clicking and every time they click the check engine light blinks and my rpms shoot up then down causing my car to buck and jump real bad and then all of a sudden the check engine light wikll come on and stay on and my rpms will quit working causing my car to bogg down and spit and sputter ....any help plz from anyone would b greatly appreciated

Reply to
james001383

Could be coolant leaking into a cylinder with a head gasket leak.

Lynn

Reply to
Lynn McGuire

Sounds like issues with erratic valve timing, the 'vtec' not working as planned. It's hydraulically actuated I believe so perhaps change your oil? Maybe it's absorbed a bunch of moisture causing (oddly enough) 'hydraulic-ing'.

Or it could be ignition timing out of whack - or mixture richness ...

Times like these I'm pleased my 1985 Honda is carburetted and simple.

Reply to
~misfit~

I've seen this happen with my daughters 05 Accord. Oil change did the trick (as stated above). When was the last oil change?

Reply to
Stewart

Ditto 2005 CR-V. There is an oil pressure/volume-triggered valve that becomes clogged and limits VTEC function.

Reply to
News

Good to hear that my educated guess may be right. :)

Reply to
~misfit~