Dashboard lights in '89 Honda Civic

How many individual lamps are there in the dashboard and console of an '89 Civic DX sedan?

Last week I asked a local Honda dealer to change all dashboard and console lamps as the original backlights are burning a bit dim after all these years. The console lights -where the heater, fan and A/C controls are- are now as bright and shiny as I wanted and expected, yet the instrument cluster remains as dim as before.

The service guys claim they did change all lamps, and that the difference may be due to the natural aging/yellowing of the clear plastic. But as my bill shows that only two lamps were changed and charged, I suspect that for some reason they simply did not change all lamps.

If I can find out for sure how many lamps were supposed to have been changed I could go back to the dealer and demand a proper job.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Civilian

Civilian wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au:

It's probably more likely the rheostat has some corrosion/dirt/carbon on it afer all these years.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Thanks for your reply.

Are you then suggesting that I should have the rheostat checked/replaced instead? Would you happen to know where exactly this rheostat is located, or perhaps point me to a PDF, diagram or other reference?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Civilian

The rheostat is the dimmer switch. However, you should take a look at my other post.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

There are 2 lamps in the center console by the heater control levers.

The number of bulbs in the speedometer assembly varies with the manufacturer. If it's a Nippon Seiki type then there are 8 bulbs. However, if it's a Nippon Denso type then there are 6 bulbs. This data is from the Helm factory service manual pages 23-94 and 23-95.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Eric,

That's exactly what I needed to know. My speedometer assembly reads "NS" in tiny script next to the trip odometer reset, so it must be an

8-bulb Nippon Seiki.

I really appreciate your taking the time to look this up.

Reply to
Civilian

If your dimmer varies the brightness of your heater bulbs, your dimmer is good. The Honda guys may have missed a few burned out bulbs. They should be checked with an ohm meter. Good luck.

Reply to
duckbill

Indeed, the dimmer still works quite well. By now it's quite obvious to me that they simply didn't change the bulbs as I asked them to and that their line about new bulbs not burning bright due to aging of the clear plastic is just that, a line.

Now I'm trying to get the service manager to return my calls. They can smell trouble when a customer insists on talking to the manager. :)

Reply to
Civilian

Why not schedule an appointment with the Dealership's General manager, face to face. Be positive and say you're a loyal Honda customer but that you have not been treated fairly and you're very upset. Then say nothing when the Manager asks what he can do. Just look at him and see what is offered. Good luck.

Reply to
duckbill

Problem solved. I finally got through to the service manager, he investigated and called back later with an apology. He asked me to take the car in whenever it's convenient and assured me that he'll personally see to it that the job does get done this time, no extra charge.

No doubt it'll be a learning opportunity both for the mechanic who was too lazy to do his job and for the service rep who proferred this BS about the bulbs having been replaced but not burning bright due to aging of the instrument panel.

Thanks from Santiago, Chile to everyone who helped.

Reply to
Civilian