Dealing with screws, bolts etc

I am trying to perform several tasks that all seem to end up the same -- stymied by a rusted, stripped, immobile screw, bolt, or connector. (My car is a 99, driven eight winters on salt-laden streets.)

The latest is the retaining screw that holds the air tube on the throttle body which won't budge no matter what I've tried. If I could get it off, I'd like to remove and clean the throttle body but I have no idea what obstacles that will present. I'm also trying to get to the IACV which is way behind the throttle. The one screw I can see looks rusty to me, and I'm put off by attacking the ones I can't see. I also need to remove the distributor and expect to find similar obstacles in that job.

Any advice, tricks, tips etc. for dealing with these energy-sapping obstacles would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
John Smith

--------------------------

Your diagrams are at

and PB Blaster seems to be good stuff for pre-soaking sticky nuts. Beware it might dissolve some HOSES. As for cleaning the throttle body you can do a basic job by reaching in and cleaning the throttle plate and inside with a dampened cloth, after removing the rubber intake tube.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

Like Curly wrote, PB Blaster is the best stuff around for freeing rusty bolts and screws. It's available for a few dollars a can at Autozone, Wal-Mart, etc. Tapping on the bolt or screw can help shake some rust off, too. Soak with the PB Blaster, tap, soak again, try to unfasten.

Post specific instances here, and people can give more advice, depending on the scenario. And there are a lot of them!

"John Smith" wrote

Reply to
Elle

PB Blaster is the stuff to use! the only thing I have ever found that I liked as much as PB was Valvoline Synthetic lube but I can't find the stuff any more. You will want to use six point sockets rather than a twelve point socket, you will have a lot smaller chance of stripping the head off of the bolt. If you have any rusted bolts that give you a lot of trouble or look rough I would replace the bolt.

Reply to
william1977

"John Smith" wrote in news:pWtgi.1$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe12.lga:

Use a set of angled needle-nose pliers and turn the shaft of the screw. Failing that, use a Dremel to cut the screw in half. Replace the assembly with a regular worm-type hose clamp, which, oddly enough, fits perfectly.

A new correct clamp assembly is about $10 at the dealer.

You can also lever the air hose off the throttle body, but be careful not to damage it or the aluminum casting.

Six-point sockets and air tools.

Reply to
Tegger

GM Penatrant/Lubricant. Get it at a GM parts counter (yes, GM *DOES* actually make something worthwhile! ;)

Runs $8~12 depending how much of a discount the parts guy gives you...

Spray anything you want to work on a day in advance. Spray everything else, too.

I had a Toyota Tercel that had the usual rust/corrosion, and sprayed them with this stuff. Teo days later they looked NEW! Periodic sprays kept them looking new, and made them easy to remove.

Reply to
Hachiroku

My trick only works with nuts, not bolts or screws :-(

Assuming the nut is accessible enough, clamp a pair of locking pliers (Vise-Grips or similar) down on the nut. If the nut is not a small one you will probably have to use as much strength as possible. Spray the threads at the end of the nut with penetrant and let it set a few minutes. Remove the pliers and repeat on as many pairs of sides as are accessible.

I've used this over the years with nuts that just wouldn't break loose otherwise and have had success every time - except when the nuts were totally rusted, of course. The pressure of the pliers forces the threads to bottom out and opens up gaps 90 degrees away. The penetrant gets in and has an opportunity to work where it might otherwise be locked out. Now, if only there were an equivalent for bolts or that stupid retaining screw....

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee