tips !

Any body got any useful tips ? Use this thread.

one I used today.

I had to renew a flexi brake hose. The nut that holds the rigid hose to the flexi hose connector was not going to budge. Used an 11mm spanner, it rounded the nut. Filed some flats on and used a 10mm spanner, it rounded again. Vice grips wouldn't hold. penetrating oil was on for a couple of days before.

Cant use heat on a brake line ! (brake fluid - very flammable)

what I did was - got my 11mm spanner and tack welded it to the nut. Carefully not to heat it up too much.

Took three goes but it came loose in the end.

Be careful also not to weld it on good and proper as you have to get your spanner off when its loose !

On a similar note, once I had to remove a door from my split bus. The hinge bolts have no heads - you use a cross top screw driver.

It appeared someone else had tried before me ! chewed up the top, no grip for the screw driver.

take a nut of about the same size as the head. Weld through the center of the nut onto the bolt you are trying to remove. This also works if you shear the head off a bolt.

As for most tips like this -- take your time and get comfey ! lots of patients helps :-)

Rich

Reply to
tricky

An impact driver is the ticket for bolts like these. If you don't have one, you can also just take a "disposable" screwdriver and after applying some penetrating oil hammer the crap out of it, this will break loose the threads. But the real impact driver works better because it will also try to rotate the screw while you're doing this. They're not expensive, only about $15 or so. Just went through this on the latch strikers for my '55 Stude coupe project.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Hi Nate

Tried an impact driver 1st. On the bottom hinge, you cant get enough swing with your lump hammer - the wheel arch / step are in the way !

Rich

Nate Nagel wrote:

Reply to
tricky

You use an impact screwdriver (no, it doesn't go into your air gun)...

Each time you hit the tool at the back, it simultaneously advances and rotates to loosen your screw. It's an old idea and such tools have been around for a long time.

...and it is called PHILLIPS, not "cross top"! ;-) In addition, the "square bit" ones are actually called ROBERTSON. Star ones are TORX.

Reply to
Red Bug

Hi

I used the term Cros top to avoid confusion in different countrys. some people call them posidrive too. I think there is a slight difference in the design of the "cross".

I already tried the impact driver as per last post ;-)

I do like the impact driver, mine has changed shape cuz I hit it so hard ! but it just didnt work in this situation. The welded nut worked a treat !

Rich

Red Bug wrote:

Reply to
tricky

POSIDRIVE is a hack... only in the US! Different enough from Phillips that when you get something with those screws, the standard Phillips screwdriver doesn't quite fit well and the screw is buggered... Of course, you can't buy a Posidrive screwdriver except in the US!

Reply to
Red Bug

Posidriv system screws and bits are excellent...however you must use the proper tool for the fastener no matter whether you are talking about screws, bolts, nuts, women, etc... Posidriv was developed by the Phillips screw company, which is the same company that developed the cross-head screw. The also have a squaredrive system, which is not a "Robertson" drive..Robertson is a commonly accepted term for sqaredrive screw systems, but is actually just the name of the company that developed them, just as Phillips designed the "phillips" screw system..just as all copy machines are not Xerox, all cross heads are not "Phillips", all sqaredrives are not "Robertson", and all blue concrete screws are not "tapcons"....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Except the tools are NOT available outside of the US! Often, furniture from IKEA, etc. comes with these bloody POSIDRIVE screws but those of us NOT IN THE US have to do our best to assemble with stnd. Phillips screwdrivers... There's NO OPTION if you can't buy the right tool!

And it is a very good system... better than Phillips for torque... And the screw sticks on the end of the driver nicely! That's the best part! I wish they were used more widely. At least a "square bit" screwdriver is going to fit the square-holed screws that you're ever going to come across. With "cross-head" screws, you have a chance it'll be the original Phillips type but another chance it will be Posi-drive, and with no correct tool to use with these types, you struggle along and usually end up with messed up screw tops. It's like BETA and VHS all over again, except that that with the tapes, at least one of them won out.

Harrumph!

Reply to
Red Bug

You're actually complaining that a non-US company only uses US-proprietary connectors? Somehow that doesn't make sense.

/doesn't own any IKEA crap. /Prefers real furniture not made in factories.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

I've heard people refer to the posidrive screws as a "blunt point phillips" which isn't entirely accurate of course. You can sometimes grind down the point on an old phillips screwdriver and get a somewhat better fit. (I bought the correct drivers years ago) There's more to it than just the shorter tip though. I've never figured out what the benefit of the posidrive style fastener was but there must have been something. Is it a type of assembly line fastener?

--

'64 sunroof Beetle '55 semaphore Beetle

Reply to
Mike64Bug

phillips" which isn't entirely accurate of course.

get a somewhat better fit. (I bought the

though. I've never figured out what the benefit

Is it a type of assembly line fastener?

the posidriv style is better than a standard crosshead screw in a higher torque situation...they were designed to withstand more torque without damage or rounding...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

I think it makes sense... You'd expect a US company to use stuff that anyone in the US could get a hold of. You'd expect a non-US company to use stuff that anyone not in the US could get a hold of. Right? I dunno.

That said, I prefer the real stuff too :-p That's why I drive a VW !

Brian (woah)

Reply to
Briantelope

ONLY SOME of IKEA's items are actually from Europe... most are sub-contracted locally. A lot of the stuff in Canadian IKEA stores is made somewhere in Canada for example. Other stuff appears to be assembled somewhere in the US and this is when one gets POSIDRIVE stuff. I've seen other do-it-yourself assembly kits (barbeques, lamps, you name it) from other retailers that have fastener kits with posidrive screws.

That was one simple example... ANYTHING that begins somewhere in the US and is a kit you assemble can have POSIDRIVE screws... Not just IKEA...

Often I'll also see it on pre-assembled stuff... if it was done on an assembly line somewhere in the US, they like to go with posidrive... It's when the kit or assembled item crosses a US border that the problems arise.

Reply to
Red Bug

MMmmm, Posidrive is widely available in Europe...

J.

Reply to
P.J. Berg

posidrive is used on 1959- 1973 mini cooper,mini cooperS,austin countryman and other austin,morris and other British cars. they look like a phillips screw driver tip 4 large angles and have 4 smaller ridges between the phillips type flanks. if you take a phillips and install it into a philliptype screw that is horizontal and let go of handle the screw driver will fall.a pozidrive will stick in the screw. a posi drive has differant angle on end and sometimes can remove a phillips that appears to be rounded out.it is British not american screw driver. the posi drive screws have a circle around the 4 slot that is interupted. that is how you identify a posidrive screw from a phillips-phillips wont have interupted circle on screw head. if you try to remove a posi drive screw with a phillips it will round out everytime. vw beetles,ghia's and busses use a no3 or 4 phillips for door screws.

Reply to
bill may

if you cant get a fitting on a brake line loose then cut tubing next to flair nut and use a 9MM 6 point socket and ratchet, -replace tubing or if enough slack then re-flair the metric bubble flair.

Reply to
bill may

I didnt have the tool to press the flare/niple on the end of the tube !

Rich

bill may wrote:

Reply to
tricky