Disabling the "idiot-proof" lock system.

I have a '93 Accord adn my brother has a '91 Civic, both of which have the "feature" of requiring the driver side door to be locked with a key from the outside. Is there a way to disable this? The lock (and key) are starting to wear because of the constant use caused by this system.

Thanks, Marco

no they don't - they require the driver to open the door, keep the door lever in the "open" position and simultaneously lock the door. on closure, the door will be locked, no key.

how about a way to disable drivers that can't be bothered to read the owners manual?

Reply to
jim beam

snipped-for-privacy@rco.rosano wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Pull the interior door-opening handle fully out, lock the door, then let go of the handle again.

No key required.

Reply to
Tegger

Tegger wrote in news:Xns9A5EE13B0DCD3tegger@207.14.116.130:

and then do not lock your keys inside.

Man,where have these guys been? That trick has been known for well over 2 decades. I think I was using it on my 86 Prelude.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm new to Hondas so I'm still getting used to the quirks.

- Marco

No, but to lock it from the INSIDE simply hold open the inside door handle while pushing down the lock button.

It quickly becomes second nature.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

snipped-for-privacy@rco.rosano wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

There are others.

You can still get an Owner's Manual (for free), here:

No login required. Choose "Owner's Manuals" from the menu at left, then navigate to your car.

Reply to
Tegger

In addition to the excellent method suggested, here are a couple of others.

With all doors unlocked, get out of the car and close the driver's door. Open the driver's side back door, push down the lock button on the driver's door. All the doors will lock. (This was my preferred method.)

Get out and close the driver's side door. Have your spouse open the passenger side door, then reach over and push the driver's side button down. (This has the added benefit of annoying your spouse.)

I have never tried the following method, but I don't see why it wouldn't work: Lock all the doors from the inside. Release the trunk. Crawl over the front seat. Unlatch the back seat and pull it down. Crawl out through the cargo opening into the trunk and over the rear bumper.

Finally, purchase an aftermarket remote keyless entry. I have one for a 1993 Accord that was never used and I will be posting the details on eBay later today.

Elliot Richmond Itinerant astronomy teacher

Reply to
Elliot Richmond