2005 Odyssey Sliding Door closes then cracks open

My 2005 Odyssey has a Sliding Door problem.

This is real simple to describe: Driver's side sliding door. Door closes just fine...then there's a one second pause.. then the back end of the door cracks open about 1/4-3/8 with a bit of the door motor sound. Its kinda like the door is starting to open again.

None of the hardware seems loose. I'm not 100% sure, but it seems like there should be a click at the end of the closing process that's not happening.

Oh, and its opening just enough to trigger the warning beep constantly, but the door open indicator light on the dash goes off and on depending if I go over a bump, or steer left or right.

I would much appreciate any ideas of what's going on here, and if it is fixable by a reasonably technical person like myself who is smart enough to replace brake pads but not able to change my oil without getting a big black smudge somewhere (anywhere) on my body.

Thanks in advance,

John Polcari

-- "A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants" - Chuckles the Clown

Reply to
jpolcari

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:52cc7738-d81c-4e84-8548-4413e0b38da5 @s50g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

Is the Check Engine light on? No, I'm not kidding.

Reply to
Tegger

Had this happen on 2000 model. Used an eraser and cleaned the contacts on the door jamb and the door. Worked.

Reply to
Ray

Nope.

Didn't think you were, in fact it seems like it could be some kind of logic problem. to amend my original post, it stays closed for more like 2 full seconds before it cracks open.

If only I could re-boot. Would the pulling the breaker trick be a bad idea?

Thanks, John Polcari

-- "A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants" - Chuckles the Clown

Reply to
jpolcari

More info:

If I put a piece of tape over the door switch, it turns out this only shuts off the dashboard "door open" light.

The annoying beep which is only heard when the car is in Drive is not affected by this door switch!

I don't see any other door switches which raises an interesting question as to how else the car knows the door is open. ( more evidence for a logic issue)

John Polcari

Reply to
jpolcari

Sorry, no contacts visible on this model, there is a bundle of cables at the bottom of the door that apear to travel with the lower slide mechanisim.

John Polcari

Reply to
jpolcari

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:30563800-2816-4759-97bd-64cc0a06dc94 @a70g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

The reason /I ask is because there is at least one known problem with the '05 Odyssey's power sliding doors. But TSB 05-011 covers the doors /failing to open/, not failing to stay closed. I misread it before, so sorry for that.

There are other known problems having to do with the door closing, then opening, then reclosing again, sometimes uttering beeps as it does so. There are white plastic stops on the motors which may not be fully seated ("W" shape not showing out bottom).

Another problem has to do with the upper roller binding because the channel is too narrow. The fix involves widening the upper roller's channel.

Reply to
Tegger

Go to

and do a search on the problem. It is a problem in the latch motor and has been discussed many times. Ody sliding doors have many problems which you will find in the forum.

More info:

If I put a piece of tape over the door switch, it turns out this only shuts off the dashboard "door open" light.

The annoying beep which is only heard when the car is in Drive is not affected by this door switch!

I don't see any other door switches which raises an interesting question as to how else the car knows the door is open. ( more evidence for a logic issue)

John Polcari

Reply to
Woody