Do you own both Accord and V6?

I am pretty satisfied with the 05 Accord EX-V6 and am planning to get another 06 EXL. Wondering if you own both and ever compared its power and gas mileage?

Getting the 4 banger hoping to save some gas money but I am curious what power is missing and what saving I can expect. The current V6 is getting around 17-19 city at an 20 miles commute strictly local roads at 40mph top, a little hilly winding roads and I am perfectly happy with the V6. How is the 4 vs V6 at low speed torque performance difference?

Thank you for sharing your real world experiences. I will test drive both model tomorrow but the dealer will not let me drive that far to my daily commuting routes. I am so worried that my initiative of saving will result in years of sorry after the purchase... From a lot of my friends' comments, I do not forsee the 4 cylinder will be short of power but I am still curious.

Reply to
harry

v6 has low end grunt which those of you used to v8's seem to like. those of us used to 4's drop to low gears and use high revs [>4krpm] to keep it bouncing off the red line, which honda motors love. it's your call based on your driving style.

Reply to
jim beam

I'd agree with that.

I had the 1999 V6 CL with a four-speed auto, traded down (?) to the

2004 Accord EX4 with the current 5-speed auto. Used to get about 24mpg on a tank, now get well over 30mpg.

For low speed driving, you'll never miss the last two cylinders. Remember, the displacement difference is 2.4 verus 3.2, that'a a big

4-cylinder, specifically so it has more oomph off the line. Compare to the 1.8 on the Civic, at that point you'd notice a difference (though still not bad, as long as you're willing to rev it a bit).

I almost never get my car "on the cam" except when pulling onto the freeway, from zero to 80mph, and half of that is just for fun.

4-cylinder on the cam will pull away from any normal traffic. You won't beat a Porsche in it, but neither will the Accord V6 y'know.

The four is a little whimpy for freeway passing, from lugging it around in 5th gear at 2200rpm, convincing the computer and sticky transmission to go smoothly into 4th and 3rd is almost impossible, and even then you might just miss that extra displacement.

But I still say the Accord 4-cylinders are an automative work of art, they are so smooth and efficient, while the 6-cylinder takes the fun out of it and makes it just another car.

Now. my old 1987 Accord 4-cylinder was another thing entirely, though with the stick, it was good for its day. But that was a 2.0 with a carb and no computer and no vtec, putting out 100hp, the current 2.4 is 160hp (heavier car, too), but that's still pretty good power. No, today's Accord 4-bangers are pretty incredible, says I.

J.

Reply to
JXStern

I have a 1999 LX V6 sedan and a 2006 2.4L Accord SE sedan. The difference that I notice the most is that the V6 engine is smoother and quieter than the 4 cylinder. That being said, we are pleased with the 06 and it's five speed automatic transmission. It has allot of power for a 4 cylinder engine. So far for the first 2,000 miles we are averaging a little over 29 mpg, about 60% interstate and the rest rural roads.

Reply to
bbtaco

You'll find that the 4 banger handles a lot better than the 6....... Big difference in front end weight bias. I do a lot of highway time, so the 6 is a big advantage for me, and I still get 28 - 30mpg with it.

Reply to
Paul Cardoza

Yes, I forgot what gave me the impression, someone spinning a 6 on the freeway I think, or me NOT spinning the 4 in some situation, but I get the impression the basic engineering is still based on the 4.

Maybe the Acura TL is better balanced with the 6?

Then again, maybe not.

J.

Reply to
JXStern

I have the V6 and have driven a friend's 4 cylinder. Obviously the V-6 has more power, but the 4 is more than enough for any normal driving. Sure, you might have to wind it out a little more for a freeway pass.

If you are staying within 10 mph of speedlimits and don't drive your Accord fully loaded through rocky mountain terrain I would not worry about the power of the 4 cylinder. Now if you said that you routinely take trips through western Colorado with four adults and their gear then it might be different.

I would expect 2-5 mpg more from the 4 than from the 6.

John

Reply to
John Horner